August 2, 2007

Lutheran Bishops Offer Hope After Minneapolis Bridge Collapse
07-140-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The bridge of Interstate 35W collapsed
Aug. 1, where it crossed the Mississippi River near the center of
Minneapolis.  The Associated Press reported Aug. 2 the
catastrophe killed four people, injured another 79 and left as
many as 30 missing.  Bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA) Minneapolis Area and Saint Paul (Minn.) Area
Synods offered words of condolence and hope.
     "When a tragedy of this magnitude occurs in a metropolitan
area, people's confidence in the stability of daily life is
shaken," said the Rev. Craig E. Johnson, ELCA Minneapolis Area
Synod.  "But as people of faith, our confidence is centered upon
God who rushes to aid all people in their suffering," he said.
     Johnson and Rabbi Marcia Zimmerman invited everyone in the
Twin Cities Area to an interfaith prayer service at Temple
Israel, Minneapolis.
     "All such tragedies leave us groping for ways to comprehend
the sudden, unexpected loss and to find comfort and consolation,"
said the Rev. Peter Rogness, bishop, ELCA Saint Paul Area Synod.
"Ultimately, comfort and consolation come from Christ's
sustaining love and the dimension of his kingdom that overcomes
death.  Of this much we can be assured," he said.
     "At times such as these, Christians find strength and
purpose in community.  I encourage you to find ways to gather in
prayer with others in your faith community -- in your home, in
your congregation, in your community," Rogness said.
     Rogness invited the public to a prayer vigil at Prince of
Peace Lutheran Church, Burnsville, Minn., and he announced hours
that the sanctuary of Central Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, was
open for prayer.
-- -- --
     The home page of the ELCA Minneapolis Area Synod is at
http://www.mpls-synod.org/ and that of the ELCA Saint Paul Area
Synod is at http://www.spas-ELCA.org/ on the Web.

     Temple Israel's home page is at http://www.templeisrael.com/
on the Web.

     The home page of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church,
Burnsville, is at http://www.princeofpeaceonline.org/ and that of
Central Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, is at
http://www.centralmpls.org/ on the Web.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog