August 15, 2007

ELCA Assembly Calls for Recommitment to Israel, Palestine Strategy
07-CWA-054-KK

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The 2007 Churchwide Assembly called on the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) to recommit to the
Churchwide Strategy for Engagement in Israel and Palestine,
through awareness-building, accompaniment and advocacy
activities.  The assembly also suggested some possible economic
initiatives in its amended action on Aug. 11.
     The strategy is part of the "Peace Not Walls: Stand for
Justice in the Holy Land" campaign adopted by the 2005 Churchwide
Assembly.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of
the ELCA, met here Aug. 6-11 at Navy Pier's Festival Hall. About
2,000 people participated, including 1,069 ELCA voting members.
The theme for the biennial assembly was "Living in God's Amazing
Grace: Thanks be to God!"
     The assembly action underscored the call for economic
initiatives, in consultation with the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in Jordan and the Holy Land (ELCJHL), which could include
"purchasing of products from Palestinian providers and
exploration of the feasibility of refusing to buy products
produced in Israeli settlements."
     The Rev. Rebecca S. Larson, executive director, ELCA Church
in Society, said, "This is consistent with the strategy that we
have. The context of the strategy is very much within a
commitment to a sustainable resolution of conflict throughout the
Holy Land and a two-nation solution with a very secure Israel.
Within that strategy, there is a section called 'stewarding
economic resources.'"
     Examination of investment activity by the ELCA was also
requested by the assembly in the amended action, but it would
"exclude the option of divesture." The Rev. H. Gerard Knoche,
bishop, ELCA Delaware-Maryland Synod, Baltimore, proposed the
amendment, saying the motion "calls for examination of our
investment strategy, and I wanted to put some limits on the
results of that examination."
     The Rev. John H. K. Schreiber, bishop, ELCA Southeast
Michigan Synod, Detroit, said, "I applaud the efforts of the ELCA
to walk in solidarity with our brothers and sisters of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land, to stand
for peace and justice. We also need to match our rhetoric with
using the vast resources that have been entrusted to us by God
and this church."
     Some voting members expressed concern that adopting the
memorial would complicate relations in their immediate
communities and abroad.
     "I fear that the language we have right now confuses the
Jewish community about our support for them, and it sounds like
we're speaking out of two sides of our mouth," said the Rev.
Bruce D. MacLaughlin, a voting member from the ELCA Northeastern
Pennsylvania Synod.
     Several speakers had traveled to the Holy Land or belonged
to synods in "companion synod relationship" with the ELCJHL, and
they described the experience as instrumental in their commitment
to this action.
     "I believe many people have said it is dangerous to travel
in the Holy Land. I believe that there is far more danger to our
spirit if we deny this very physical aspect of support and
accompaniment," said the Rev. Margaret G. Payne, bishop, ELCA New
England Synod, Worcester, Mass.
     The importance of accompaniment was emphasized by the Rev.
Munib A. Younan, bishop of the ELCJHL, in a hearing conducted on
Aug. 7. "The theology of accompaniment allows one to get to know
the other, to see the needs. We invite you to come and see," he
said.
- - -
     Information about the 2007 ELCA Churchwide Assembly is at
http://www.ELCA.org/assembly/ on the Web.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog