Title: Lutheran Bishop of Montana to Become Trinity Seminary President
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

November 1, 2000

LUTHERAN BISHOP OF MONTANA TO BECOME TRINITY SEMINARY PRESIDENT
00-252-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Mark R. Ramseth, bishop of the Montana
Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), has accepted
his election to become the third president of Trinity Lutheran Seminary,
Columbus, Ohio.  His transition from bishop to president is expected in
early 2001.
     "I am humbled by Trinity's commitment and welcome in extending to
me the call to serve as president," said Ramseth.  "Some of the church's
brightest and best pastoral leaders have come west to Montana from
Trinity.  They bear Trinity's reputation for clear vision for service
and mission on behalf of the gospel."
     Trinity is one of eight seminaries of the ELCA.  It was formed in
1977 by the consolidation of the Evangelical Lutheran Theological
Seminary, Columbus, and Hamma School of Theology, Springfield, Ohio.
The Rev. Fred W. Meuser, Bartow, Fla., served as its first president.
     Ramseth will succeed the Rev. Dennis A. Anderson, who plans to
retire as president on Nov. 30.  "Now that Mark has accepted, it eases
my anxiety in leaving, knowing that I leave the president's office in
good and caring hands," said Anderson.
     "I rejoice that he has accepted election as the next president of
Trinity Lutheran Seminary.  I believe he will find in the Trinity
community special, warm and meaningful relationships that will yield
much fruit for God's mission through Trinity," Anderson added.
     "Over the years, I have had great admiration for Trinity's
faculty, staff, students, board and presidents Meuser and Anderson,"
said Ramseth.  "Now I pray I might bring faithfulness to the same call
of partnership in the preparation of women and men for the ministry of
God's mission in the world."
     The board of the ELCA Division for Ministry voted Oct. 15 to
recommend that the ELCA Church Council extend a letter of call to
Ramseth as president of Trinity.  The council will meet here Nov. 10-13.
     Born in San Diego, Ramseth, 56, is a graduate of St. Olaf College,
Northfield, Minn., and Luther Northwestern Theological Seminary (now
Luther Seminary), St. Paul, Minn.  He holds a master of theology degree
from Union Theological Seminary, Richmond, Va., and a doctorate from San
Francisco Theological Seminary, San Anselmo, Calif.
     Ordained in 1971, Ramseth has served as pastor of American
Lutheran Church, Newport, Wash.; First Lutheran Church, Spirit Lake,
Idaho; Christ the Victor Lutheran Church, Fairfax, Calif.; and King of
Glory Lutheran Church, Billings, Mont.  In 1988 he became assistant to
the bishop for the ELCA Montana Synod.
     Ramseth was elected bishop of the synod in 1991 and took office
Jan. 1, 1992.  Based in Great Falls, the ELCA Montana Synod includes
more than 50,000 Lutherans in 152 congregations.
     Ramseth and his wife, Carol Hustad Ramseth, are the parents of
four daughters.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]