Psalm 42

To the leader. A Maskil of the Korahites.
        As a deer longs for flowing streams,
        so my soul longs for you, O God.
        My soul thirsts for God,
        for the living God.
        When shall I come and behold
        the face of God?
        My tears have been my food
        day and night,
        while people say to me continually,
        "Where is your God?"
        These things I remember,
        as I pour out my soul:
        how I went with the throng,
        and led them in procession to the house of God,
        with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving,
        a multitude keeping festival.
        Why are you cast down, O my soul,
        and why are you disquieted within me?
        Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
        my help 6 and my God.

        My soul is cast down within me;
        therefore I remember you
        from the land of Jordan and of Hermon,
        from Mount Mizar.
        Deep calls to deep
        at the thunder of your cataracts;
        all your waves and your billows
        have gone over me.
        By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
        and at night his song is with me,
        a prayer to the God of my life.
        I say to God, my rock,
        "Why have you forgotten me?
        Why must I walk about mournfully
        because the enemy oppresses me?"
        As with a deadly wound in my body,
        my adversaries taunt me,
        while they say to me continually,
        "Where is your God?"
        Why are you cast down, O my soul,
        and why are you disquieted within me?
        Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
        my help and my God.