October 24, 2008

ELCA Presiding Bishop Says Church Must Be Heard in Complex Situations
08-180-LWI*/JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Faith-based organizations such as the
Lutheran World Federation (LWF) and its leaders must not relent
on their responsibility to agitate for multilateral solutions
that ensure fair and just lending and borrowing practices
globally, said the Rev. Mark S. Hanson.  Hanson, presiding
bishop, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), and LWF
president, made the remarks at an international consultation on
illegitimate debt Oct. 21-23 in Oslo, Norway.
     "We must recognize the complexity of issues without allowing
their complexity to immobilize us.  We must not lose our voice,"
said Hanson, relating the current global financial crisis to the
International Symposium on Illegitimate Debt, co-organized by the
LWF.
     The LWF is a global communion of 140 member churches
representing more than 68.3 million Lutherans.  Hanson is also
presiding bishop of the 4.7 million-member ELCA.
     More than 60 representatives of churches, governments,
international and regional financial institutions, United Nations
organizations and society attended the symposium, seeking to
jointly formulate practical approaches for further political and
legal action on illegitimate debt.
     Speaking to Lutheran World Information, Hanson pointed to
the mandate of the 2003 LWF Ninth Assembly, which urged the LWF
to place a priority on illegitimate debt cancellation through
actions that integrate a broader approach based on moral, ethical
and legal obligations.
     "We [church leaders] must always ask the questions: 'At
whose expense are profits being made? What will be the long-term
impact for people who live in poverty?' And we must hold
governments accountable," Hanson said.
     Seeking alliances with other stakeholders remains an
important LWF strategy.  "This symposium is our (opportunity) to
convince others -- lawyers, economists and policy makers -- that
solutions to the illegitimate debt crisis will depend on our
capacity to push together for concrete steps," Hanson said.
     Hanson moderated an Oct. 22 panel during which the Norwegian
Minister for Environment and Development, Erik Solheim, and
Ecuador's Attorney General, Washington Pesantez Munoz, presented
their respective governments' initiatives on sovereign debt.

*Lutheran World Information is the LWF information service and is
the source of this report.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog