April 9, 2009

ELCA, LCMS Leaders Discuss Task Force Documents, Other Topics
09-087-RL*/JB

     ST. LOUIS -- Top leaders of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA) and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS),
met as the Committee on Lutheran Cooperation March 24 to review
proposals from the Task Force for ELCA Studies on Sexuality.  The
Lutheran leaders also discussed a report on LCMS synod structure
and governance and other topics of interest.
     Discussion focused on a proposed ELCA social statement,
"Human Sexuality: Gift and Trust," and a "Report and
Recommendation on Ministry Policies." The documents were
transmitted last month by the ELCA Church Council to the ELCA
Churchwide Assembly for consideration. The assembly is Aug. 17-23
in Minneapolis.
     While much attention has focused on the task force's
discussion of same-sex relationships, the Rev. Rebecca A. Larson,
executive director, ELCA Church in Society, expressed hope that
people will give attention to the rest of the report on ministry
policies.  She said that the task force worked with the concept
of "bound conscience."
     "While the task force did not reach full agreement, it did
affirm that different understandings can be included in our life
together as a church," she said.
     "We are not in agreement on how and whether to honor these
relationships within the community of the church, but we are
absolutely united in our understanding of our common baptism and
commitment to be faithful in the ministry and mission to which
the church is called," Larson said.
     Dr. Joel Lehenbauer, executive director, LCMS Commission on
Theology and Church Relations, questioned whether the ELCA report
had addressed the full complexity of the topic. "The bound
conscience of a Christian often includes being constrained by
Christ's love to help a fellow Christian see how his or her
conscience may be wrongly bound," he said.
     The Rev. Gerald B. Kieschnick, LCMS president, commenting
earlier on the report, said the LCMS has repeatedly affirmed that
the historical understanding of the Christian church is that the
Bible condemns homosexual behavior as "intrinsically sinful."
     The LCMS representatives expressed the church's desire to
assist the ELCA as it considers the recommendations of the task
force.  "We in the LCMS want to be helpful to you at this time,
with integrity to our own church's position on this matter, but
also with our prayers and with our love and concern," said the
Rev. Samuel Nafzger, LCMS director of church relations and
assistant to the president.

LCMS governance, structure and other topics addressed
     The Rev. Jon Braunersreuther, senior assistant to
Kieschnick, reported on LCMS restructure proposals. A task force
is shaping the proposals for the 2010 LCMS convention.
Braunersreuther said motivating factors were to support
congregations in their mission and ministry, and better
stewardship of church resources.
     The participants discussed other topics in the meeting:
     + They discussed a possible Lutheran Malaria Initiative
aimed at containing the disease, which would involve the ELCA,
the LCMS, Lutheran World Relief, Baltimore, and the United
Nations Foundation.
     + The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop, said the
ELCA is placing a staff person in each of the ELCA's 65 synods to
help strengthen congregations and grow local ministries.
     + Kieschnick reported that the LCMS' Ablaze! initiative
seeks to share the gospel with 100 million uncommitted or
unchurched people worldwide by 2017. In collaboration with
partner churches, the goal is to begin 3,000 ministries
worldwide.
     + Two participants in the U.S. Lutheran-Roman Catholic
Dialogue reported their positive experiences. The Rev. Donald J.
McCoid, ELCA executive for ecumenical and inter-religious
relations, and Nafzger described the meetings as intense and
helpful dialogue, with good "give and take" by the presenters and
participants. Their enthusiasm prompted Hanson to ask, "Why
wouldn't it be wonderful to have dialogue together (between the
ELCA and LCMS) if we can do it with the Roman Catholics?" Nafzger
replied that he saw no reason not to do it, adding that such
dialogue need not imply that the two church bodies were on the
road to altar and pulpit fellowship.

* Roland Lovstad is a freelance writer with the Lutheran Church-
Missouri Synod.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog