Title: ELCA Addresses Inclusive Ministry
ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 12, 1997

ELCA ADDRESSES INCLUSIVE MINISTRY
97-18-052-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod have developed a coalition
to build ministry with individuals who have developmental
disabilities.  Members of the Lutheran Developmental Disabilities
Coalition met here May 3-4 to develop ways in which Lutheran
congregations can "catch the vision for inclusive ministry."
     "Persons with developmental disabilities will rebuild our
church, and  we must include all individuals if we are ever going
to soar again as a church," said Don Boden, director for the
Lutheran Disability Ministries.  LDM is a ministry of Lutheran
Child and Family Services, Indianapolis.
     "Before we can begin a ministry that will enable persons
with disabilities to participate fully in  the life of the
church, we need to mainstream ourselves into their world before
inviting them into ours.  That begins by coming together as
friends in Christ," said Boden.
     The ELCA emphasizes ministry "with" persons with
developmental conditions, not "to" or "for."  "The goal is not to
do things `for' people with disabilities, but to have everyone
join in the work of the church," said Dennis Busse, ELCA director
for disability ministries.  The basic difference in this
perception and use of language is that a person with a
developmental disability is first recognized as a person and the
disability is a condition or fact of life for that individual.
The emphasis is placed on the individual as a person of worth to
be included as a participant and contributor, as well as a
receiver, in all aspects of the church and society, said Busse.
     "Ministry in the name of Jesus Christ is always reciprocal,"
said the Rev. Sherman G. Hicks, First Trinity Lutheran Church,
Washington, D.C.  "Everyone has something to give and something
to receive.  When one is in the receiving and giving posture he
or she can know wholeness," he said.
     "First Trinity Lutheran Church is constantly seeking ways to
support and become more involved in ministry with persons with
disabilities," said Hicks.  "When I administer communion, I
somehow know that individuals with developmental conditions
understand what is taking place.  God can work wonders beyond
what I know, and the Spirit is working within each individual.
God's grace is understood and accepted in a pure and simple way,
and that is enough for all individuals."
     "Many church buildings do not provide physically-accessible
structures such as ramps, sound systems or large print materials
for persons with disabilities," said Busse.  "Even in those
church buildings that provide accessibility, members of the
congregation reflect the same misconceptions about persons with
disabilities as the general culture and do not invite persons
with disabilities to worship the same way others would be
invited," he said.
     Commitments of the Lutheran Developmental Disabilities
Coalition include: to assist congregations, seminaries and
educational institutions in their efforts to be fully accessible;
to educate pastors in including the participation of persons with
developmental disabilities within their churches; and to make all
Lutherans aware of resources available.
     "Christ has laid the vision for this church before us.  It
is to be an inclusive ministry -- a place where all people are
invited, are welcomed and give praise to God," said Hicks.
     "The coalition is in the process of planning a national
conference for clergy, other church professionals and volunteers
in congregations who are in settings providing ministry with
individuals who have developmental disabilities," reported Busse.
"The conference will take place in 1998."

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html