HUNGERSERMONSTARTERS December 2008

12/8 Hunger Sermon Starters (re-post)

Aaron Cooper <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:07:41 -0600

text/plain

[available from www.elca.org/hunger/sermonstarters]

SCROLL DOWN FOR Dec. 14 AND Dec. 21

Dec. 14, 2008
3rd Sunday in Advent

First reading: Isaiah 61:1-4, 8-11
Psalm 126 or Luke 1:46-55
1 Thessalonians 5:16-24
John 1:6-8, 19-28

Welcome to Hunger Sermon Starters!

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace
in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s text are lessons for the
Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments
here will help you find hunger related threads-sermon starters-among the
themes of this day’s texts. (We’re presuming you have already done
your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and
teaching) of what is most certainly true.

·         Before you get to John’s introduction of the role of John
the Baptist in getting his world ready to hear and receive Jesus’
message, it is fascinating to see how Isaiah and Psalm 126 connect up
with Luke 1:46-55 (an alternate Psalm reading) and provide the context
for both Mary’s message and Jesus’ first sermon. Luke makes the
clearest connections between Isaiah’s song, Mary’s song, and
Jesus’ first sermon.
·         Isaiah says, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me and has
anointed me to and sent me with good news for the broken.” 61:1  Jesus
uses these words as the text for his first sermon in Luke. (Was it an
assigned periscope or Jesus’ favorite verse?)
·         Notice also Mary finds inspiration for her famous
“magnificat” from Isaiah 61:1 as she proclaims good news for the
poor and also from Psalm 126:2-3 as she echos the Psalm…”My spirit
rejoices in the Lord.”
·         To ignore the Hebrews roots of these proclamations of
liberation for the poor and oppressed is a great disservice to our
congregations and the many who are eager for a word of hope in a world
filled with heartache and despair.
·         If you have never read Luther’s commentary on Mary’s song
(Luke 1:46-55), you are in for a treat. It also can work on All Saints
Sunday when Luther reminds us of a proper attitude toward the saints.
“We remember them not so they can hear our voices (prayers) but so
we might once again hear their voices” and be inspired to faithful
living.
·         The Thessalonians’ text picks up the rejoicing theme of
Isaiah 61:10 and Psalm 126 with the “no whining” accent and the
encouragement to “pray always, give thanks in all circumstances.”
What a benediction. It would make for a great memory verse for
confirmands.
·         Notice however the key and motivation that makes the Biblical
imperative to “rejoice, pray and give thanks” always, no matter
what. There is the conviction that “God (who calls and delivers you)
is FAITHFUL.” Only if you believe the last assertion can you carry out
the other imperatives. The conviction supports and promotes the trilogy
of the doxology. (Do you get it?)
·         In John’s gospel lesson, John the Baptist (referred to as
J.B. from now on) is given his job description. Get the world ready to
receive and believe in the “light of the world….Jesus.”
·         A helpful Bible study technique that helps people find the
core message of almost any text is to ask the two core questions of
identity and purpose. Notice how this text speaks of J.B.’s identity
and role. He is the forerunner, not the Messiah. His purpose is to set
the stage for Jesus and his message.
·         J.B.’s clear sense of identity allowed him to live a
“purpose-driven life.” How do we help our Sunday-morning
worshippers catch their sense of identity and purpose? You might have
the congregation make the baptismal sign of the cross on each other’s
foreheads and remind them of their baptismal imperative, “Let your
light shine” or read the Confirmation Affirmation on page 237 (ELW)
that urges… “Live, hear, proclaim, serve, and strive for justice and
peace in all the earth.”

The Rev. Howie Wennes (former bishop of the Grand Canyon Synod)

December 21, 2008
3rd Sunday in Advent

First Reading: 2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16
Psalm 89:1-4, 19-26
Second reading: Romans 16: 25-27
Luke 1: 26-38

2nd Samuel 7: 1-11, 16
·         There is an interesting dialog between the Lord God and King
David, with the prophet Nathan as the interpreter. King David would like
to honor God with a beautiful temple, but God doesn’t see it that way.
 God clarifies that God has selected and blessed David with a special
covenant, but a special temple isn’t on God’s agenda for David. God
does promise his love and faithfulness forever.
·         David responds with a great tribute in Ps.89:26: “You are
my father, my God, the rock of my salvation.”
·         What kind of response is God looking for from us in light of
all that God has given us in God’s covenant and pledge of
faithfulness?
·         In Luke 1: 26-38, we have God’s messenger calling on Mary
to invite her to become a “servant of the Lord.” We might warn
others whenever you hear what may be the voice of God saying things
like, “Greetings, O favored one. The Lord is with you.” [DUCK.] When
we listen to the messengers of God that can come in many different
forms, we should be prepared to have our life’s direction and agenda
changed.
·         Mary’s response to the angel Gabriel is classic. First some
fear and trembling followed by a “How can this be?” Gabriel goes for
the clincher in persuading Mary that she will become the “mother of
the most high’ by assuring Mary that “Nothing will be impossible
with God.”

*Notice the response of Mary. Vs. 38 “Here am I, the servant of the
Lord, be it done to me according to your word.” In contemporary
language, “Whatever you say Lord, I’m available.”

Wow!

What do we hear God calling us to do regarding God’s agendas in the
world today? We talk a lot about faith, but notice the key with Mary was
that faith allowed her to hear her call, but obedience is what gave God
permission to use her as God saw fit. And sister Elizabeth, on her own
errand of carrying the future John the Baptist, tells Mary in vs. 45,
“Blessed is the one who believes that God will fulfill his
promises.”

If God can use the likes of Nathan and David, Mary and Elizabeth, Peter
and Paul, Luther and Martin Luther King, don’t you suppose he can also
use us to carry on kingdom errands in our day? Mary’s song in Luke
1:46-55 describes some of the surprising ways the Spirit is at work
bringing about God’s plan for our world.   Like Mary, the humble
servant of the Lord, we, too, can say, “For the mighty one has done
great things for me and holy is his name.”

What might be some modern forms by which God’s messengers might show
up in our lives, in our faith communities, and send us out on some
Kingdom errands?   Remember both in Mary’s hymn of praise (vs.46-55)
and Jesus in his first sermon (Luke 4) the role of the broken and
suffering seem to rank among the highest on the kingdom priority list.
Remember Gabriel’s reassurance to Mary before he unloaded God’s
call to her: “Fear not.” Preachers need to hear that from time to
time also.

The Rev. Howie Wennes (former bishop of the Grand Canyon Synod)