To: [log in to unmask]

2008 (of 2011) JOHANNA OLSON May  09, 2000 at 12:20 Eastern (3306
characters)

In Minnesota, after the floods of the Red River in 1997, Lutheran Disaster
Response created a weeklong day camp for children who had survived the
flooding.  This idea grew out of a need to respond to children who had lost
not only their homes but their playgrounds and schools.  And children lost
their summers of fun and play - the majority of city recreational programs
were cancelled.  For families with younger children, many lost their
childcare provider.  In East Grand Forks alone, the floods destroyed 19 of
the 22 childcare centers.

This summer Camp Noah is expanding nationally to serve children in three
areas of the country.  Camp Noah will begin in South Dakota where children
live on land that is slowly being absorbed by the waters of Waubay Lake.
Camp Noah continues on to Kansas, in Haysville and to Oklahoma City,
Oklahoma where last May children saw a series of devastating tornadoes
systems bring fury to the ground scattering their homes.  In North Carolina
Camp Noah will serve children who withstood a hurricane and days of
flooding and high standing water.

Our staff is composed of six counselors and one day camp coordinator.  They
are Amy Cmelik from Warburg College, Waverly, Iowa; Carrie Opperman from
Concordia College, St. Paul, MN; Jamie Tessing from Gettysburg College,
Gettysburg, PA; Kathryn Slaby from Winona State University, Winona, MN;
Kristen Thompson from St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN (day camp
coordinator); Kristin Engstrom from University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI;
and Paul Schultz from Hamline University, St. Paul, MN.  Their work will
begin with a comprehenive ten day training.  In addition to this team, Camp
Noah will have on-site each week, a mental health person available to offer
assistance.

The daily schedule includes opening worship, Bible study/disaster process,
snack, crafts, lunch, all-camp games, smaller group fun activities, field
trips and a closing worship.  This is a community camp for all children who
have completed kindergarten but have not yet entered 7th grade and have
been affected by disaster.  This program is free.

Thanks and praise need to be extended to our social ministry
partners, Lutheran Social Service of MN (the agency that created Camp Noah
for LDR) who is coordinating the program; and our hosting agencies -
Lutheran Social Services of South Dakota; Lutheran Social Services of KS/OK
and Lutheran Family Services in the Carolinas.

Our hope is to serve 400 children this summer.  Camp Noah is unique in the
field of disaster response because it serves children while underscoring
Lutheran Disaster Response's commitment to the long term recovery.  Camp
Noah is an example of the church reaching out, in creative ways, to support
people affected by disaster.

If you're interested in contributing towards future Camp Noah, we have a
designated account specifically for Camp Noah.  We certainly would
appreicate your help.

To contribute:

    ELCA DOMESTIC Disaster Response - "CAMP NOAH"
    PO Box 71764
    Chicago, Illinois 60694-1764

        Credit card gift line:  1-800-638-3522

    LC-MS World Relief - "CAMP NOAH"
    P.O. Box 66861
    St. Louis, MO 63166-9810

        Credit card gift line:  1-888-930-4438

Johanna Olson

JOHANNA OLSON (written 10:22 am Tue, May  9, 2000)
Assistant for ELCA Domestic Disaster Response (Division for Church in
Society); 8765 West Higgins Rd., Chicago, IL 60631; tel.  773-380-2822 fax
773-380-2493