Deuteronomy 4:21-40

The LORD was angry with me because of you, and he vowed that I should not
cross the Jordan and that I should not enter the good land that the LORD
your God is giving for your possession.  For I am going to die in this
land without crossing over the Jordan, but you are going to cross over to
take possession of that good land.  So be careful not to forget the
covenant that the LORD your God made with you, and not to make for
yourselves an idol in the form of anything that the LORD your God has
forbidden you.  For the LORD your God is a devouring fire, a jealous God.

When you have had children and children's children, and become complacent
in the land, if you act corruptly by making an idol in the form of
anything, thus doing what is evil in the sight of the LORD your God, and
provoking him to anger, I call heaven and earth to witness against you
today that you will soon utterly perish from the land that you are
crossing the Jordan to occupy; you will not live long on it, but will be
utterly destroyed.  The LORD will scatter you among the peoples; only a
few of you will be left among the nations where the LORD will lead you.
There you will serve other gods made by human hands, objects of wood and
stone that neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.  From there you will
seek the LORD your God, and you will find him if you search after him with
all your heart and soul.  In your distress, when all these things have
happened to you in time to come, you will return to the LORD your God and
heed him.  Because the LORD your God is a merciful God, he will neither
abandon you nor destroy you; he will not forget the covenant with your
ancestors that he swore to them.

For ask now about former ages, long before your own, ever since the day
that God created human beings on the earth; ask from one end of heaven to
the other: has anything so great as this ever happened or has its like
ever been heard of?  Has any people ever heard the voice of a god speaking
out of a fire, as you have heard, and lived?  Or has any god ever
attempted to go and take a nation for himself from the midst of another
nation, by trials, by signs and wonders, by war, by a mighty hand and an
outstretched arm, and by terrifying displays of power, as the LORD your
God did for you in Egypt before your very eyes?  To you it was shown so
that you would acknowledge that the LORD is God; there is no other besides
him.  From heaven he made you hear his voice to discipline you.  On earth
he showed you his great fire, while you heard his words coming out of the
fire.  And because he loved your ancestors, he chose their descendants
after them.  He brought you out of Egypt with his own presence, by his
great power, driving out before you nations greater and mightier than
yourselves, to bring you in, giving you their land for a possession, as it
is still today.  So acknowledge today and take to heart that the LORD is
God in heaven above and on the earth beneath; there is no other.  Keep his
statutes and his commandments, which I am commanding you today for your
own well-being and that of your descendants after you, so that you may
long remain in the land that the LORD your God is giving you for all time.