The Transfiguration of Our Lord
Luke 9:28-43

Now about eight days after these sayings Jesus took with him Peter and
John and James, and went up on the mountain to pray.  And while he was
praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became
dazzling white.  Suddenly they saw two men, Moses and Elijah, talking to
him.  They appeared in glory and were speaking of his departure, which he
was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.  Now Peter and his companions were
weighed down with sleep; but since they had stayed awake, they saw his
glory and the two men who stood with him.  Just as they were leaving him,
Peter said to Jesus, "Master, it is good for us to be here; let us make
three dwellings, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah" — not
knowing what he said.  While he was saying this, a cloud came and
overshadowed them; and they were terrified as they entered the cloud.
Then from the cloud came a voice that said, "This is my Son, my Chosen
listen to him!"  When the voice had spoken, Jesus was found alone.  And
they kept silent and in those days told no one any of the things they had
seen.

On the next day, when they had come down from the mountain, a great crowd
met him.  Just then a man from the crowd shouted, "Teacher, I beg you to
look at my son; he is my only child.  Suddenly a spirit seizes him, and
all at once he shrieks.  It convulses him until he foams at the mouth; it
mauls him and will scarcely leave him.  I begged your disciples to cast it
out, but they could not."  Jesus answered, "You faithless and perverse
generation, how much longer must I be with you and bear with you?  Bring
your son here."  While he was coming, the demon dashed him to the ground
in convulsions.  But Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, healed the boy, and
gave him back to his father.  And all were astounded at the greatness of
God.