Psalm 17

A Prayer of David.
        Hear a just cause, O LORD; attend to my cry;
        give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit.
        From you let my vindication come;
        let your eyes see the right.
        If you try my heart, if you visit me by night,
        if you test me, you will find no wickedness in me;
        my mouth does not transgress.
        As for what others do, by the word of your lips
        I have avoided the ways of the violent.
        My steps have held fast to your paths;
        my feet have not slipped.
        I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;
        incline your ear to me, hear my words.
        Wondrously show your steadfast love,
        O savior of those who seek refuge
        from their adversaries at your right hand.
        Guard me as the apple of the eye;
        hide me in the shadow of your wings,
        from the wicked who despoil me,
        my deadly enemies who surround me.
        They close their hearts to pity;
        with their mouths they speak arrogantly.
        They track me down; now they surround me;
        they set their eyes to cast me to the ground.
        They are like a lion eager to tear,
        like a young lion lurking in ambush.
        Rise up, O LORD, confront them, overthrow them!
        By your sword deliver my life from the wicked,
        from mortals — by your hand, O LORD —
        from mortals whose portion in life is in this world.
        May their bellies be filled with what you have stored up for them;
        may their children have more than enough;
        may they leave something over to their little ones.
        As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness;
        when I awake I shall be satisfied, beholding your likeness.