Numbers 8:5-22

The LORD spoke to Moses, saying:  Take the Levites from among the
Israelites and cleanse them.  Thus you shall do to them, to cleanse them:
sprinkle the water of purification on them, have them shave their whole
body with a razor and wash their clothes, and so cleanse themselves.  Then
let them take a young bull and its grain offering of choice flour mixed
with oil, and you shall take another young bull for a sin offering.  You
shall bring the Levites before the tent of meeting, and assemble the whole
congregation of the Israelites.  When you bring the Levites before the
LORD, the Israelites shall lay their hands on the Levites, and Aaron shall
present the Levites before the LORD as an elevation offering from the
Israelites, that they may do the service of the LORD.  The Levites shall
lay their hands on the heads of the bulls, and he shall offer the one for
a sin offering and the other for a burnt offering to the LORD, to make
atonement for the Levites.  Then you shall have the Levites stand before
Aaron and his sons, and you shall present them as an elevation offering to
the LORD.

Thus you shall separate the Levites from among the other Israelites, and
the Levites shall be mine.  Thereafter the Levites may go in to do service
at the tent of meeting, once you have cleansed them and presented them as
an elevation offering.  For they are unreservedly given to me from among
the Israelites; I have taken them for myself, in place of all that open
the womb, the firstborn of all the Israelites.  For all the firstborn
among the Israelites are mine, both human and animal.  On the day that I
struck down all the firstborn in the land of Egypt I consecrated them for
myself, but I have taken the Levites in place of all the firstborn among
the Israelites.  Moreover, I have given the Levites as a gift to Aaron and
his sons from among the Israelites, to do the service for the Israelites
at the tent of meeting, and to make atonement for the Israelites, in order
that there may be no plague among the Israelites for coming too close to
the sanctuary.

Moses and Aaron and the whole congregation of the Israelites did with the
Levites accordingly; the Israelites did with the Levites just as the LORD
had commanded Moses concerning them.  The Levites purified themselves from
sin and washed their clothes; then Aaron presented them as an elevation
offering before the LORD, and Aaron made atonement for them to cleanse
them.  Thereafter the Levites went in to do their service in the tent of
meeting in attendance on Aaron and his sons.  As the LORD had commanded
Moses concerning the Levites, so they did with them.