        shout for joy to the God of Jacob.
        Raise a song, sound the tambourine,
        the sweet lyre with the harp.
        Blow the trumpet at the new moon,
        at the full moon, on our festal day.
        For it is a statute for Israel,
        an ordinance of the God of Jacob.
        He made it a decree in Joseph,
        when he went out over the land of Egypt.

        I hear a voice I had not known:
        "I relieved your shoulder of the burden;
        your hands were freed from the basket.
        In distress you called, and I rescued you;
        I answered you in the secret place of thunder;
        I tested you at the waters of Meribah.
Selah

        Hear, O my people, while I admonish you;
        O Israel, if you would but listen to me!
        There shall be no strange god among you;
        you shall not bow down to a foreign god.
        I am the LORD your God,
        who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.
        Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.
        "But my people did not listen to my voice;
        Israel would not submit to me.
        So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts,
        to follow their own counsels.
        O that my people would listen to me,
        that Israel would walk in my ways!
        Then I would quickly subdue their enemies,
        and turn my hand against their foes.
        Those who hate the LORD would cringe before him,
        and their doom would last forever.
        I would feed you with the finest of the wheat,
        and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you."