September 4, 2003

Scholarships Awarded To International Students Attending Lutheran Colleges
03-165-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) awarded scholarships of $1,500 each to 16 international
students attending ELCA colleges and universities.  The
scholarships, from the Phoebe Herman Scholarship Endowment Fund,
were awarded through the ELCA Division for Higher Education and
Schools (DHES).
     Phoebe Herman was an active Lutheran who lived in
Selinsgrove, Pa.. Upon her death she left most of her estate to
the ELCA Foundation, with a third of the proceeds to be used for
scholarships for "worthy and needy" students of any Lutheran
college in the United States, said Arne Selbyg, director for
colleges and universities, DHES.  The ELCA Foundation maintains
the fund.
     "Each year our colleges nominate many students who are in
desperate need of funds, and it is really difficult to make
choices," Selbyg said.  "We have given highest priority to
students who do not qualify for regular financial aid, such as
students from countries who would be unable to attend our
colleges without such support."
     The establishment of the Phoebe Herman Fund is one example
of how Lutherans can leave a gift that will have long-lasting
meaning for future generations, said the Rev. Donald M. Hallberg,
executive director, ELCA Foundation.
     "Phoebe Herman left a legacy in establishing an endowed
scholarship program through the ELCA Foundation that annually
supports students at the 28 ELCA colleges and universities," he
said.  "As we celebrate this year's scholarships we are reminded
that we too, can leave a legacy for our favorite ministries."
      The 2003 grants were awarded to:
+ Yury Bahdanionak, Belarus, attending Augsburg College,
Minneapolis
+ A-me Li, Thailand, Augustana College, Rock Island, Ill.
+ Dan Rizk, Lebanon, Augustana College, Sioux Falls, S.D.
+  Konah Harris, Liberia, Bethany College, Lindsborg, Kan.
+ Kisumbo Mdegella, Tanzania, California Lutheran University,
Thousand Oaks, Calif.
+ Nahla Gomaa, Egypt, Capital University, Columbus, Ohio
+ Liliana Herakova, Bulgaria, Concordia College, Moorhead, Minn.
+ Trang Thu Le, Vietnam, Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, Pa.
+ Amit Bohara, Nepal, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, Minn.
+ Cassie Benoit, The Bahamas, Lenoir-Rhyne College, Hickory, N.C.
+ Chipo Chikara, Zimbabwe, Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma,
Wash.
+ Ebele Chizea, Nigeria, Thiel College, Greenville, Pa.
+ Samuel Smith, Liberia, Waldorf College, Forest City, Iowa
+ Linh Kieu, Vietnam, Wartburg College, Waverly, Iowa
+ Isaac Boye-Arthur, Ghana, Wittenberg University, Springfield,
Ohio
-- -- --
Information about ELCA colleges and universities can be found at
http://www.elca.org/dhes on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news