September 18, 2003

'Lutheran Voices' Series Introduced; Online Discussion This Month
03-171-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- A 12-volume book series focusing on
Lutheran theology, what it means to be Lutheran, and how Lutheran
teachings can enrich and guide congregations and members is
available through Augsburg Fortress, the publishing house of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).  Several books in
the new "Lutheran Voices" series were published this summer and
introduced at the recent 2003 Churchwide Assembly in Milwaukee.
     The first book in the series, "Reclaiming the 'L' Word:
Renewing the Church from its Lutheran Core," is the subject of a
month-long discussion on LutherLink, the ELCA online conferencing
ministry.  The author, the Rev. Kelly A. Fryer, Cross of Glory
Lutheran Church, Lockport, Ill., is participating in the online
discussion.
     Other books in the series will be the subject of similar
discussions in October and November.  Information about the
online discussions is available at
http://www.lutherlink.org/books on the Web.
     The idea for the series began with the 2002 "Asking for
Directions Tour," in which Beth Lewis, Augsburg Fortress
president and chief executive officer, visited leaders throughout
the church when she began her tenure with the publisher.
During the tour, Lewis learned of the need for Lutheran-specific
materials that would inform, teach, inspire and renew, according
to an Augsburg Fortress news release.
     The Rev. Scott Tunseth, creative development director,
Augsburg Fortress, was named to spearhead the project.
Reclaiming the 'L' Word was released April 1.  Augsburg Fortress
met its goal of introducing the complete 12-volume series by the
2003 Churchwide Assembly.
      "This new venture allows us to partner with prophets and
preachers, politicians and pastors, educators and scientists,
caregivers and counselors, professors and students, scholars and
homemakers -- people who have new things to say to the larger
church," Tunseth said. Lutheran Voices is a forum for their
reflections on being Lutheran today."
      "With Lutheran Voices Augsburg Fortress wants to
dramatically emphasize its commitment to the ELCA and its rich
theological heritage, as well as helping its many gifted voices
speak," Tunseth continued. "We are proud to present this new book
series in a timely way.  In this increasingly diverse church
challenged by issues that tend to divide, we need to listen to
the voices among us -- voices that challenge and clarify, calm
and heal, inspire and encourage."
     Books in the Lutheran Voices series are:
     + "Reclaiming the 'L' Word: Renewing the Church from Its
Lutheran Core" by the Rev. Kelly A. Fryer
     + "Listen! God Is Calling! Martin Luther Speaks on Vocation,
Faith and Work" by the Rev. D. Michael Bennethum
     + "On a Wing and a Prayer: Faithful Leadership in the 21st
Century" by the Rev. Michael L. Cooper-White
     + "Let the Servant Church Arise!" by Barbara DeGrote-
Sorensen and the Rev. David A. Sorensen
     + "Our Lives Are Not Our Own: Saying 'Yes' to God" by the
Rev. Harold W. Eppley and the Rev. Rochelle Y. Melander
     + "Water from the Rock: Lutheran Voices from Palestine" by
Ann E. Hafften
     + "Who Do You Say I Am? 21st Century Preaching" by the Rev.
Susan K. Hedahl
     + "Signs of Belonging: Luther's Marks of the Church and the
Christian Life" by the Rev. Mary E. Hinkle
     + "Speaking of Trust: Conversing with Luther on the Sermon
on the Mount" by the Rev. Martin E. Marty
     + "Will I Sing Again? Listening for the Melody of Grace in
the Silence of Illness and Loss" by the Rev. John McCullough Bade
     + "Connecting with God in a Disconnected World: A Guide for
Spiritual Growth and Renewal" by the Rev. Carolyn Coon Mowchan
and Dr. Damian Vraniak
     + "Give Us This Day: A Lutheran Proposal for Ending World
Hunger" by the Rev. Craig L. Nessan
-- -- --
Information about Augsburg Fortress, including ordering
information for books in the Lutheran Voices series is at
http://www.augsburgfortress.org on the Web.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news