Numbers 3:5-13

Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying:  Bring the tribe of Levi near, and
set them before Aaron the priest, so that they may assist him.  They shall
perform duties for him and for the whole congregation in front of the tent
of meeting, doing service at the tabernacle; they shall be in charge of
all the furnishings of the tent of meeting, and attend to the duties for
the Israelites as they do service at the tabernacle.  You shall give the
Levites to Aaron and his descendants; they are unreservedly given to him
from among the Israelites.  But you shall make a register of Aaron and his
descendants; it is they who shall attend to the priesthood, and any
outsider who comes near shall be put to death.

Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying: I hereby accept the Levites from
among the Israelites as substitutes for all the firstborn that open the
womb among the Israelites.  The Levites shall be mine, for all the
firstborn are mine; when I killed all the firstborn in the land of Egypt,
I consecrated for my own all the firstborn in Israel, both human and
animal; they shall be mine.  I am the LORD.