Daniel 2:1-19

In the second year of Nebuchadnezzar's reign, Nebuchadnezzar dreamed such
dreams that his spirit was troubled and his sleep left him.  So the king
commanded that the magicians, the enchanters, the sorcerers, and the
Chaldeans be summoned to tell the king his dreams.  When they came in and
stood before the king, he said to them, "I have had such a dream that my
spirit is troubled by the desire to understand it."  The Chaldeans said to
the king (in Aramaic), "O king, live forever!  Tell your servants the
dream, and we will reveal the interpretation."  The king answered the
Chaldeans, "This is a public decree: if you do not tell me both the dream
and its interpretation, you shall be torn limb from limb, and your houses
shall be laid in ruins.  But if you do tell me the dream and its
interpretation, you shall receive from me gifts and rewards and great
honor.  Therefore tell me the dream and its interpretation."  They
answered a second time, "Let the king first tell his servants the dream,
then we can give its interpretation."  The king answered, "I know with
certainty that you are trying to gain time, because you see I have firmly
decreed: if you do not tell me the dream, there is but one verdict for
you.  You have agreed to speak lying and misleading words to me until
things take a turn.  Therefore, tell me the dream, and I shall know that
you can give me its interpretation."  The Chaldeans answered the king,
"There is no one on earth who can reveal what the king demands!  In fact
no king, however great and powerful, has ever asked such a thing of any
magician or enchanter or Chaldean.  The thing that the king is asking is
too difficult, and no one can reveal it to the king except the gods, whose
dwelling is not with mortals."

Because of this the king flew into a violent rage and commanded that all
the wise men of Babylon be destroyed.  The decree was issued, and the wise
men were about to be executed; and they looked for Daniel and his
companions, to execute them.  Then Daniel responded with prudence and
discretion to Arioch, the king's chief executioner, who had gone out to
execute the wise men of Babylon; he asked Arioch, the royal official, "Why
is the decree of the king so urgent?"  Arioch then explained the matter to
Daniel.  So Daniel went in and requested that the king give him time and
he would tell the king the interpretation.

Then Daniel went to his home and informed his companions, Hananiah,
Mishael, and Azariah, and told them to seek mercy from the God of heaven
concerning this mystery, so that Daniel and his companions with the rest
of the wise men of Babylon might not perish.  Then the mystery was
revealed to Daniel in a vision of the night, and Daniel blessed the God of
heaven.