March 12, 2004

Minneapolis Lutheran Bishop Released From Hospital
04-038-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Craig E. Johnson, 56, bishop of the
Minneapolis Area Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) was released from the hospital March 10 and is now recuperating at
home.
     Johnson underwent surgery to repair a brain aneurysm on March 2.
Another surgical procedure will repair a second brain aneurysm.  The
aneurysms were found after Johnson was hospitalized Feb. 26 at Abbott
Northwestern Hospital, Minneapolis.
     "Two weeks … it seems much longer.  How quickly we can be forced to
reexamine our priorities, think deeply about our lives, and rally around
ones we love.  The rallying has been uplifting to say the least,"
Johnson's family said in a message posted at
http://www.caringbridge.org/mn/craigjohnson/ on the Internet.
     Johnson said he is "endlessly grateful" for the prayers and support.
     Johnson was elected in 2001 to serve a six-year term as bishop of the
ELCA Minneapolis Area Synod.  Prior to this call, he served as associate
vice president for church relations at Gustavus Adolphus College, St.
Peter, Minn., one of the 28 colleges and universities of the ELCA.
     The Minneapolis Area Synod has 226,776 members in 168 congregations.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news