2 Samuel 18:28-19:8

Then Ahimaaz cried out to the king, "All is well!"  He prostrated himself
before the king with his face to the ground, and said, "Blessed be the
LORD your God, who has delivered up the men who raised their hand against
my lord the king."  The king said, "Is it well with the young man
Absalom?"  Ahimaaz answered, "When Joab sent your servant, I saw a great
tumult, but I do not know what it was."  The king said, "Turn aside, and
stand here." So he turned aside, and stood still.

Then the Cushite came; and the Cushite said, "Good tidings for my lord the
king!  For the LORD has vindicated you this day, delivering you from the
power of all who rose up against you."  The king said to the Cushite, "Is
it well with the young man Absalom?"  The Cushite answered, "May the
enemies of my lord the king, and all who rise up to do you harm, be like
that young man."

The king was deeply moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and
wept; and as he went, he said, "O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom!
Would I had died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son!"

It was told Joab, "The king is weeping and mourning for Absalom."  So the
victory that day was turned into mourning for all the troops; for the
troops heard that day, "The king is grieving for his son."  The troops
stole into the city that day as soldiers steal in who are ashamed when
they flee in battle.  The king covered his face, and the king cried with a
loud voice, "O my son Absalom, O Absalom, my son, my son!"  Then Joab came
into the house to the king, and said, "Today you have covered with shame
the faces of all your officers who have saved your life today, and the
lives of your sons and your daughters, and the lives of your wives and
your concubines, for love of those who hate you and for hatred of those
who love you.  You have made it clear today that commanders and officers
are nothing to you; for I perceive that if Absalom were alive and all of
us were dead today, then you would be pleased.  So go out at once and
speak kindly to your servants; for I swear by the LORD, if you do not go,
not a man will stay with you this night; and this will be worse for you
than any disaster that has come upon you from your youth until now."  Then
the king got up and took his seat in the gate.  The troops were all told,
"See, the king is sitting in the gate"; and all the troops came before the
king.

Meanwhile, all the Israelites had fled to their homes.