September 28, 2004

ELCA Presiding Bishop Criticizes Content Of Bush, Kerry Campaigns
04-183-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Just a few days before their first
presidential debate, the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), has written an
open letter to President George W. Bush and U.S. Sen. John F.
Kerry, calling on both to change the tone and content of their
campaigns.
     In his letter, made public Sept. 28, Hanson challenged both
nominees to answer questions on social concerns such as HIV/AIDS,
the environment, the growing gap between wealthy and impoverished
people, affordable housing, health care, wages and education.
Hanson acknowledged that terrorism is an important concern, and
terror must be rejected. However, he pleaded with Bush and Kerry
that they not "reduce all of the cries of suffering humanity to
this single issue."
     "We know the reality of fear," Hanson wrote in his letter.
"Please do not appeal to our fears. As people of faith, we claim
the biblical promise, 'Do not be afraid.'  We need a vision of
our shared future with all of God's creation."
     Hanson asked both candidates to "stop looking back 30 years
and challenging each other's military service. We need you to
provide us with a vision for the next 30 years."  He challenged
both campaigns to "help us see what responsibilities and
possibilities come with the privilege of freedom and the
abundance of prosperity."
     This is not the time for the United States to withdraw from
the world or seek to "dominate the world with our economic and
military power," Hanson said.
     "We need to hear what it means for our nation to be stewards
of that power for the sake of peace and the well-being of all
God's children," he said. "It is time to stand with all who
suffer in the world, all who live daily with the reality of
violence, and it is time to work together so that all might have
daily bread and experience justice, mercy and peace."
     He reminded the Democratic and Republican nominees for
President that while terrorism "haunts our times," there are
other important concerns such as "hunger and poverty, corrupt and
brutal political systems, harsh discrimination and social
inequalities, civil wars, environmental degradation and epidemic
diseases."
     "These, too, are sources of insecurity and hopelessness for
millions," Hanson said. "They do not belong in a world that is
increasingly interconnected. To neglect or to be indifferent to
these realities while countering terrorism is both morally wrong
and shortsighted."
     Hanson said that for people of faith "our hope is in God."
He quoted from Psalms 46:1: "God is our refuge and strength, a
very present help in trouble."
     Hanson concluded his letter by saying he would continue to
pray for Bush, Kerry and their families as they continued their
campaigns.
     Hanson leads the 5 million-member ELCA, based here, and is
president of the 65-million member Lutheran World Federation,
based in Geneva, Switzerland.
---
     The full text of Bishop Hanson's "Open Letter to President
George W. Bush and Senator John F. Kerry" is at
http://www.elca.org/bishop/m_candidates.html on the ELCA Web
site.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news