October 12, 2004

Gift Propels Lutheran Men In Mission Toward Self-Sufficiency Goal
04-192-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- One of the goals of Lutheran Men in
Mission (LMM), the men's ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA), is "to strengthen LMM resources so that
the organization might be financially self-sufficient by the end
of 2005."  An anonymous challenge grant may move the organization
$1.5 million closer to reaching that goal.
     "An anonymous couple has stepped forward with a $500,000
challenge grant.  We intend to match that grant with planned
gifts and cash by a 2 to 1 ratio," Doug Haugen, LMM director,
wrote in an Oct. 6 letter to LMM supporters.
     Since LMM organized in 1988, it has relied on money from the
ELCA's churchwide budget for its staffing, ministries and events.
Most LMM support comes from individual men's contributions and
congregational and synodical men's ministries.
     "Your consistent support of our current fund, along with the
support of many others, has enabled our ministry to expand
greatly over the years," Haugen wrote.  "Much bolder steps are
required to build the Lutheran Men in Mission Endowment Fund,
which currently stands at $115,000."
     LMM does not spend the money in the endowment fund, but uses
the interest it earns to support LMM ministries.
     "This new opportunity will greatly impact our ministry with
young men, our Bible ministry and the success of the Lutheran
Men's Gathering next year.  And it will have a dramatic impact on
our ability to engage every man in a growing relationship with
Jesus Christ," Haugen wrote.
     "We are more excited than ever about Lutheran Men in Mission
and the opportunities before us," said Heber Rast, LMM president,
Cameron, S.C.  "This sends the message that we are a major
ingredient in the overall ministry of the ELCA and that men's
ministry is important," he said.
     "This challenge gift will have a tremendous impact on our
programs, in that it will give us more stability in our funding
and allow better planning," said Rast.  "In the past we have
designed programs and had to put them off or modify them
depending on available funds," he said.
     "With this increase in the endowment, we will have a much
better idea of our income and can better plan for the growth of
our ministry.  While we will only utilize a portion of the income
from the endowment, we will at least have that as a steady source
of funds and can concentrate more on expanding our programs,"
Rast said.
     "People give to programs and ministries that show results.
With the success of our Bible program and the young men's
ministry, this gift will help position ourselves for additional
growth in these areas as well as developing new programs and
ministries," Rast said.
     "The challenge gift has moved the gift solicitation process
forward decisively and dramatically," said Charles Oestreich, LMM
vice president, New Braunfels, Texas, and president emeritus,
Texas Lutheran University, Seguin.
     "LMM has proceeded systematically with program clarification
and communication for the past five years.  The challenge grant
came at a marvelous time to make another huge step upward,"
Oestreich said.  "A gift plan with integrity for donors, the
ELCA and LMM is in the final stages of preparation.  It should
lead to success," he said.
     Oestreich said it is easier for supporters to contribute
toward LMM's goal of self-sufficiency because of its clear
statement of other "noble" goals -- to produce and promote
resources for effective Lutheran men's ministry that will help to
grow men's faith and relationships and to produce and promote
events that will help to grow men's faith and relationships.
     In a "summary letter" about the challenge gift, the LMM
board described the organization's advances:
 + The Master Builders Bibles are in the hands of 25,000 men.
This Bible ministry is now being expanded with Spanish New
Testaments that will be given to teams doing global and domestic
mission work.
 + The Young Men's Ministry Council has begun to produce events
and resources based on extensive research with young men
conducted last year.
 + Attendees of all ages in record numbers are anticipated at the
2005 Gathering.
 + LMM is committed to supplying congregations with access to
resources they need to engage men in strengthened relationships
with Jesus Christ.
     "As encouraged by ELCA officials, a new structure for 'The
LMM of the Future' is beginning to emerge. The plan for financial
security took a dramatic leap forward when a challenge grant was
offered. All leaders of LMM are to be involved in the final
stages of planning to make these changes become reality," the
board wrote.
     The LMM board said it plans to raise half of the money to
meet the challenge by the end of 2005.  At that point it will
announce plans to complete the challenge.
     "Our profound thanks to the anonymous couple who has issued
the 2005 Master Builders Challenge Grant. This gift will make a
positive impact on the ministry of LMM both in the near future
and in the long term," the board said.
     LMM's Young Men's Ministry Council organized a "Road Trip"
event, targeted to reach Lutheran men 18 to 34 years old, Sept.
24-26 at YMCA of the Rockies near Estes Park, Colo.
     The next LMM Assembly is planned for July 21-22, 2005, and
the Lutheran Men's Gathering for July 22-24, 2005, at the Embassy
Suites Convention Center, Charleston, S.C.
-- -- --
     The home page for Lutheran Men in Mission is at
http://www.elca.org/lmm/ on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news