Mark 4:30-34

He also said, "With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what
parable will we use for it?  It is like a mustard seed, which, when sown
upon the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on earth; yet when it is
sown it grows up and becomes the greatest of all shrubs, and puts forth
large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade."

With many such parables he spoke the word to them, as they were able to
hear it;  he did not speak to them except in parables, but he explained
everything in private to his disciples.