February 10, 2006

ELCA Grand Canyon Synod Appoints Alton Zenker Interim Bishop
06-021-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Grand Canyon Synod Council of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) appointed the Rev. Alton Zenker to serve as interim bishop, effective Feb. 15.  The council's appointment was made in consultation with the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, ELCA presiding bishop.
     Zenker, 72, is a former bishop of the ELCA Central/Southern Illinois Synod, Springfield.  He was elected to a six-year term in 1994 and served in that role until he retired in 2000.  Zenker and his wife Marlene reside in Hot Springs Village, Ark.
     The council appointed Zenker Feb. 6 following the Jan. 24 resignation of Michael Neils as bishop of the synod and as an ELCA pastor.
     "The church has a need, and I think I would have felt the same way no matter where I was asked to serve," he told the ELCA News Service when asked about his call as interim bishop. "For me the church takes priority at this point.  (The church) has always been important in my life."  Zenker added he believes his experience may be helpful to the synod during its leadership transition.
     "Bishop Zenker brings to the Grand Canyon Synod a pastor's heart for listening and healing," Hanson said.  "In the diverse and changing context of the Grand Canyon Synod, he will participate in important conversations about future leadership and mission."
     "From his vast synodical leadership experience, Bishop Zenker brings wisdom, patience and a passion for the gospel," Hanson added.
     Zenker will serve as interim bishop of the synod until a permanent successor to Neils takes office.  A new bishop is to be elected at the Grand Canyon Synod Assembly, May 24-26 in Tucson, Ariz.  That person will be elected to a six-year term.
     Born in Gackle, N.D., Zenker earned a bachelor of arts degree in 1955 from Wartburg College, Waverly, Iowa, one of 28 ELCA colleges and universities.  In 1959 he earned a master of divinity degree from Wartburg Theological Seminary, Dubuque, Iowa, one of eight ELCA seminaries.  In 1995 Zenker was awarded a doctor of divinity from Wartburg Theological Seminary, and Wartburg College awarded Zenker an honorary doctor of divinity in 2001.
     Following his ordination in 1959 by the former American Lutheran Church (ALC), Zenker was pastor of American Lutheran Church, Flasher, N.D.; St. John Lutheran Church, Carson, N.D.; Peace Lutheran Church, Linton, N.D.; and Immanuel Lutheran Church, Thomasboro, Ill.  He was assistant to the bishop of the ALC Illinois District and was an assistant to the Rev. John P. Kaitschuk, whom Zenker succeeded following Kaitschuk's death.
     Zenker served on the board of regents of Wartburg College and the board of the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago, another ELCA seminary.  Following his retirement, Zenker was interim pastor at Christ Lutheran Church, Hot Springs Village.
     The Zenkers are parents of two grown sons, Steven and Mark, both of whom are physicians.
---
     Information about the ELCA Grand Canyon Synod is at http://www.ELCA-grandcanyon.org/ on the Web.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog