February 3, 2006

ELCA Presiding Bishop's Statement on the Life of Coretta Scott King

It is with deep sadness that we acknowledge the passing of Coretta Scott King, a human rights advocate whose life was filled with both struggle and accomplishment.  She learned at an early age what it was like to live in a segregated society by walking five miles a day to attend a school in Marion, Alabama, while White students rode buses to an all-White school.  She persevered, completing her education in music and became a classically trained musician. She married Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., moved with him to Montgomery, Alabama, and experienced the evils of racism while organizing the Montgomery bus boycott, the result of the actions of another civil rights pioneer, the late Rosa Parks.

Mrs. King worked tirelessly with her husband in the pursuit of peace, justice and human rights for all people.  After her husband's death she raised four children and continued to pursue her husband's dreams through The Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change.  She traveled throughout the world, speaking out for the causes that inspired her.  It was through Mrs. King's leadership that the U.S. Congress established Dr. King's birthday as a national holiday in the United States.  Today, Martin Luther King Jr. Day is celebrated worldwide, a testimony to the goals they shared.

Through the dreams and inspiration of pioneers such as Coretta Scott King, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America seeks to become a more diverse church and confront the scandalous realities of racism and other unjust barriers within our church and society.  Our prayers are with the King family, and with all who fight for causes of peace, justice and human rights.

May the dignity with which she lived such a rich life, her perseverance and her spirit inspire us all to be better citizens and better human beings.  We give thanks to God for the life of Coretta Scott King.

The Rev. Mark S. Hanson
Presiding Bishop, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
President, Lutheran World Federation

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog