May 19, 2006

ELCA Presiding Bishop Calls Church to Action, Prayer for Darfur, Sudan
06-071-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Noting there is "cautious, hopeful news"
about the Darfur region in western Sudan, where a peace process
has been initiated with the signing of an agreement, the Rev.
Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA), called on the church to learn about and
discuss the humanitarian crisis there and, most of all, pray for
the people of Darfur.
     Hanson made the comments in a May 19 message to the ELCA,
"Statement on Darfur Peace Process."
     The Sudanese government and the largest rebel faction in
Darfur -- the Sudan Liberation Army/Movement -- recently signed a
peace agreement that started a peace process that could end a
three-year conflict there.  Between 200,000 to 400,000 people
have died in Darfur, and more then 2.5 million people have been
displaced. In addition rapes, looting, burning of homes and other
atrocities have been committed against primarily ethnic Africans
living in Darfur, he said.
     "The peace agreement has started a tenuous peace process
that could end a tragic situation that President Bush and others
have described as 'genocide,'" Hanson said. "Similar to the
genocide in Rwanda, the world has waited too long to respond in
outrage and has allowed a poorly funded humanitarian response to
take the place of political will and action."
     Hanson credited the U.S. government, the African Union and
the international community for facilitating the signing of the
Darfur Peace Agreement.  He called on the U.S. Congress to
approve more than $400 million for humanitarian and peacekeeping
aid to Sudan in the 2006 fiscal year.  The U.N. demanded "strict
observance" of the peace agreement and called for a rapid
transition to a stronger UN peacekeeping force from the current
African Union force, Hanson said in the message.
     "I hope that these measures for peace, and the many follow-
up steps that are needed, may finally bring an end to the human
suffering in this part of Africa," he said.

Presiding bishop calls for church understanding, action and
prayer
     While the world may "rejoice" in the hope that the Darfur
peace agreement signifies, "we must remain diligent in learning
more about the conflict and advocating for real security and
lasting peace. The situation in Sudan is politically and
historically complex," Hanson wrote.
     "These complexities can overwhelm and paralyze us, so that
we do nothing.  We must not let this happen.  Christ died and was
raised so that we might be free.  Free to help our neighbor.
Free to share God's love with all creation.  Free to love one
another.  As children of this loving God, we are called to
relieve human suffering and work together for a just and lasting
peace.  Together we can and do make a difference in Darfur and
all of Sudan," he said.
     Hanson pointed out that the ELCA, Lutheran World Federation,
Lutheran World Relief, Action by Churches Together and other
relief agencies supported through ELCA International Disaster
Response are providing needed supplies and relief in Sudan, and
that the people of the ELCA are consistent advocates for justice
for all people, including the people of Darfur.
     ELCA congregations and campuses can become communities of
moral deliberation on Darfur, the presiding bishop wrote, and he
suggested a number of ways members can become engaged:
     + By learning about the conflict in Darfur and discussing it
in congregations
     + By hosting forums or holding candlelight vigils to raise
awareness
     + By learning how Lutherans are responding to the crisis
     + By contacting elected representatives and urging them to
continue providing appropriate aid and assistance
     + By urging President Bush and elected representatives to
monitor the implementation of the comprehensive peace agreement,
and urging the Sudanese government to facilitate the timely and
safe return of all internally displaced people
     Hanson also asked that Lutherans consider financial gifts
for the Darfur situation to ELCA International Disaster Response
to support the church's response.
     "As presiding bishop I am thankful to be part of a church
that is making a difference in Darfur," Hanson's wrote.  "At the
same time I remain profoundly concerned about the people who
continue to suffer.  Together we must pray for the people of
Darfur, for peace for all who live in this troubled region, and
for those working to alleviate the human suffering."
---
     The text of Bishop Hanson's statement, including links to
resources, is at http://www.ELCA.org/bishop/m_darfur.html on the
ELCA Web site.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog