July 11, 2006

ELCA Youth Gathering Offers Life-Changing Experiences
06-098-MRC/KH*

     SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS (ELCA) -- Throughout the 2006 Youth
Gathering of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA),
high-school-age participants have had a variety of life-changing
experiences, said Heidi Hagstrom, director of the ELCA Youth
Gathering. More than 15,000 youth and adults gathered July 5-9 to
participate in events at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center
and Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas.  From July 12-16, 24,000 more
youth, volunteers and chaperones are attending the Youth
Gathering here.
     The gathering was particularly meaningful for four youth
participants from Central Lutheran Church, Eugene, Ore, who
attended the first gathering.
     "I've never been to anything this large," said Erik Brauer,
Central Lutheran Church.  Brauer said he found the topics of
conversation during the mass gathering at the Alamodome
"interesting" because "there were different viewpoints of God.
Rather than God as an omnipotent being, God was talked about as a
father figure, a parent figure, which makes a lot (more) sense to
me."
     "There's a bunch of other people here who feel the same way
I do about faith, and I've never felt that before," said Peter
Herrmann, Central Lutheran Church.  "Scripture was interpreted"
in a way that was "easy to understand, and I could connect it to
what happens in my life," he said.
     "There are so many Lutherans here.  We're not alone in the
world," said Erik Jenson, Central Lutheran Church.  "When my
friends at school ask me what religion I am, I tell them
Lutheran, and they don't know what a Lutheran is," he said.
     For Alexander Caisse, Central Lutheran Church, "It's great
just knowing that there are so many people worshiping God.  I
loved singing, clapping hands and praising God."
     Each day of the Gathering began and ended with stage
productions at the Alamodome.  Morning gatherings included
technology-enhanced Bible study. Both morning and evening
gatherings featured guest speakers, music, dance, drama, video
and special effects, storytelling, audience participation and
worship.  Participants chose from a variety of activities between
mass gatherings, such as community volunteer opportunities --
known as servant events -- in and around San Antonio, interactive
workshops, and fun and games at the Interaction Center in the
Gonzalez Convention Center.
     Youth also participated in servant events at the Gonzalez
Convention Center.  Michael Stepp, Good Samaritan Lutheran
Church, Lexington Park, Md., made "Happy Hats" with his group.
Located in the Interaction Center, youth decorated hats for local
children with leukemia.  "It was great, just knowing that you're
doing it for the good of others, to make someone else happy," he
said.
     Happy Hats was one of three "way-of-life" service
opportunities available to participants in the Interaction
Center, which also included assembling school and health kits.
Every day about 2,000 youth participated in off-site volunteer
opportunities in the city that varied from painting and cleaning
parks and recreation centers to playing with and reading to
children at the Boys and Girls Clubs of San Antonio.
     Stepp also said that the ELCA Youth Gathering's keynote
speakers helped give him a greater understanding of immigration
issues.  "I used to be completely against" illegal immigration,
he said, "but now I see why they do it."
     Keynote speakers were featured during the morning and
evening gatherings at the Alamodome.  Authors, advocates and
athletes spoke to Lutheran youth about faith and global issues.
     "It's been a real eye-opener to what problems in the world
we have yet to solve, and how we are the future generation to
help out the world," said Heather Badder, Peace Lutheran Church,
Charlotte, Mich.  "It just really opens up your eyes to the faith
and hope we need to spread throughout the world."
     Badder said she especially enjoyed the concerts by the
Newsboys on July 7, a Christian band from Australia, and Canadian
band Hawk Nelson on July 5.
     Rachel Delaney, St. Luke Lutheran Church, Cold Spring, Ky.,
said she was amazed by the number of Lutheran teenagers at the
gathering.  "The fellowship has been really cool," she said.
"Just getting to know a bunch of different people and seeing how
many Lutherans there are around the world that are teenagers" has
been a life-changing experience.
     Delaney also attended the workshop, "Children of War,
Children of Peace," one of nearly 40 learning experiences offered
in the Gonzalez Convention Center.  The workshop addressed life
in war-torn Bosnia through the stories of Christian and Muslim
teens who suffered in their homeland and from U.S. Lutherans who
visited Bosnia.  "It was really good," Delaney said. "They talked
about their real-life experiences, and I learned a lot from
them."
     Other workshops featured dance, music and interactive games.
Tanya Fromm, Lutheran Church of the Resurrection, Granite Bay,
Calif., attended "Banana Republic," a workshop that discussed how
purchasing decisions can affect people around the world.  "The
workshop was interesting," Fromm said.  "They did a game so you
could feel like you were actually experiencing what is going on"
in clothing factories.
     The gathering also offered Lutheran youth the opportunity to
participate in a variety of stewardship programs.
     "As a church youth group, we're into world hunger"
ministries, said Holly Carey, Trinity Lutheran Church, Ann Arbor,
Mich.  Carey, accompanied by other youth and adult leaders from
Trinity, deposited several $10 bills in the "Hamiltons for
Hunger" booth located at the Gonzalez Convention Center.
     Under the "Hamiltons for Hunger" effort, every participant
was asked to bring $30 or "three Hamiltons" to raise $1 million
for the ELCA World Hunger Appeal.  The Lutheran Youth
Organization (LYO) issued the $1 million challenge.  The LYO
represents the high-school-age members of the ELCA.  Another
24,000 youth and adults are expected to contribute to the effort
during the second week of the gathering, July 12-16.
     Carey said her church's youth group has raised funds in
their home town to support local food-collecting organizations.
"It's an important cause for us as a youth group."
     Youth also donated gift cards as an "in-kind offering" to
benefit four San Antonio organizations that support families and
children.  The Sunday offering will benefit domestic and
international ministries.
---