July 12, 2006

LYO Convention Delegates Elect Officers, Board for 2006-2009
06-101-JB

     SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS (ELCA) -- Delegates attending the
Lutheran Youth Organization (LYO) convention here July 9-12
elected a team that will lead the youth of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) until the organization's next
convention in 2009.
     LYO represents the high-school-age members of the ELCA.
More than 300 delegates attended workshops and discussion groups,
acted on resolutions and elected new leaders during the LYO's
Seventh Triennial Convention.
     LYO delegates elected three officers and a board of nine
representatives from throughout the ELCA.
     Nathaniel Viets-VanLear, 17, Chicago, was elected LYO
president, succeeding Maren Hulden, Moorhead, Minn. VanLear is a
member of Resurrection Lutheran Church, Chicago.
     Though he said he is "apprehensive and a little nervous"
about his new role in the LYO, Viets-VanLear said, "I'm excited,
too.  I'm waiting to find out what it's going to be like.  I have
high hopes."
     Viets-VanLear just completed a term with the organization's
Multicultural Advisory Committee and said he hopes LYO members
can learn more about multiculturalism.
     "As a person of color myself, I'm hoping to get the LYO to
be more aware" of multiculturalism, he said.
     Elected LYO vice president was Walter M.L. Hampton II, 18,
member of Christ Lutheran Church, Dryville/Fleetwood, Pa.
Hampton succeeds Kwau Agyeman Kuntu III, Chicago.
     Elected secretary was Meaghan Dorn.  Dorn, 17, a member of
St. Paul Lutheran Church, Beachwood, N.J., succeeds Kira Haler,
New Ulm, Minn.
     The LYO delegates elected a new board for 2006-2009:
+ Member-at-Large, Region 1: Emily Isensee, Vancouver, Wash.
+ Member-at-Large, Region 2: Alisse Raby, Oro Valley, Ariz.
+ Member-at-Large, Region 3: Keila McCracken, Bemidji, Minn.
+ Member-at-Large, Region 4: Ryan Humphrey, Tulsa, Okla.
+ Member-at-Large, Region 5: Jonathan Ailabouni, North
Barrington, Ill.
+ Member-at-Large, Region 6: Jessica McCallum, Saginaw, Mich.
+ Member-at-Large, Region 7: Heather Newberger, Lansdale, Pa.
+ Member-at-Large, Region 8: Maggie Pearson, Myerstown, Pa.
+ Member-at-Large, Region 9: David Hawkins, Murfreesboro, Tenn.
---
     Information about the Lutheran Youth Organization is at
http://www.ELCA.org/lyo/ on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog