July 17, 2006

ELCA Presiding Bishop Urges Lutheran Youth to 'Speak the Truth'
06-105-JB/KH*

     SAN ANTONIO, Texas (ELCA) -- The Rev. Mark S. Hanson,
presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA), encouraged participants in the 2006 ELCA Youth Gathering
to "speak the truth" as God's witnesses in the world.  Hanson
carried the theme throughout his sermon at the concluding worship
service here July 16 at the Alamodome.
     About 40,000 high-school-age and adult Lutherans from the
United States and around the world participated here in the ELCA
Youth Gathering.  The gathering took place in two back-to-back
events. Some 15,000 young people, chaperones and volunteers
participated July 5-9; the second week more than 24,000 people
participated through July 16.
     The theme of the gathering was "Cruzando: Journey with
Jesus."  Cruzando is a Spanish word for "crossing."
     Hanson encouraged the youth to go beyond their comfort zones
to serve the world. "Look out world, there are 40,000 Lutheran
youth and adults who are filled and on fire with the Holy Spirit,
who are journeying with Jesus, who are going to confront the
borders of this world, and they're going to cross those borders
and speak the truth," Hanson said.
     He urged young people to "confront the borders that say to
be accepted in this society you must speak English, and no matter
what the color of your skin, you must act 'White.'  Have the
courage to cross over that border, to tell the truth," Hanson
said.
     Hanson said that when he is interviewed by news reporters,
they often ask him why he "hangs out" with the young people in
the ELCA. Hanson said he does so not because young people are the
church of the future, but "because they're the church of today."
     Young people want to be part of a church that matters,
Hanson said he tells reporters. It matters to young people that
they be part of a church where Jesus, faith, the Bible, worship
and being Lutheran matter, he said.
     "Then I tell (news reporters) that young people want to be
part of a church that's going to make a difference.  Thank you
for leading this church so that we will matter and make a
difference in Jesus' name," he said.
     Hanson reminded the young Lutherans that God first entered
their lives at birth and has remained in their lives ever since.
     "We bear upon our brow the mark of the cross of Christ,"
Hanson said. "We have been branded forever.  (Others) will only
know it as we bear witness to the love of God through our words
and our deeds."
     Hanson encouraged the young people to share the message of
God's love.  "Speak the truth that God loves you, forgives you,
has reconciled you and the whole creation to God's self and has
given us the ministry and message of reconciliation," he said,
urging the youth to "commit to live and learn together, so that
together we can build a world of justice and peace."
     Hanson concluded his sermon by calling Lutheran youth to be
agents of change.  "Let us start a revolution in this Lutheran
church.  Let us be 40,000 people on fire with the Holy Spirit,
going out in the world proclaiming the gospel, serving our
neighbor, seeking justice, caring for the creation and following
Jesus," he said.  "Let us 40,000 people full of the Holy Spirit
go out -- let us share Christ, let us love Christ, let us live
Christ, let us be Christ to the other. But if we're going to do
that, we will need the power and the presence of the Holy Spirit
with us every step of the journey with Jesus," Hanson said.
---
     Video clips from the ELCA Youth Gathering morning worship
and other events are available at
http://www.ELCA.org/gathering/video on the ELCA Web site.

*Katherine R. Hinck is a senior journalism and religion major at
Augustana College, Sioux Falls, S.D.  This summer she is an
intern with the ELCA News Service.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog