August 3, 2006

ELCA to Hold U.S. Farm Bill Listening Sessions
06-118-AL*

     WASHINGTON, D.C. (ELCA) -- Staff of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) Washington Office will be touring the
United States during the next few months, hosting listening
sessions to help shape ELCA advocacy efforts around the U.S. Farm
Bill.  The Farm Bill is scheduled to come before the U.S.
Congress for reauthorization in 2007.
     Working in cooperation with ELCA state public policy
offices, Andrew Genszler, director of domestic policy, ELCA
Washington Office, and Mary Minette, director of environmental
education and policy, ELCA Washington Office, will be holding
listening sessions in Minnesota, Nebraska, New York, South
Dakota, Texas and Washington.  The Minnesota sessions will be
held Aug. 8 in Anoka; Aug. 10 in Fergus Falls; and Aug. 13 in St.
James. Dates for the other states will be announced in September.
     "The Farm Bill is our single biggest chance as a church to
impact agriculture, conservation and food policy -- issues that
affect the lives of people in the United States and around the
world," said Genszler. "We're hoping these sessions will be
attended by nutrition advocates, food bank and direct service
workers, farmers, conservationists, rural and small town
residents, and anyone else interested in constructive dialogue
and policies to create stronger rural communities."
     Three sessions in Minnesota will begin with devotions led by
local synod bishops, a format Genszler and Minette hope will
continue for all sessions.  The Rev. Craig E. Johnson, bishop of
the ELCA Minneapolis Area Synod, will lead devotions at the Anoka
session; the Rev. Rolf P. Wangberg, bishop of the ELCA
Northwestern Minnesota Synod, will lead devotions at the Fergus
Falls session; and the Rev. Jon V. Anderson, bishop of the ELCA
Southwestern Minnesota Synod, will lead devotions at the St.
James session.
     Following devotions, Genszler and Minette will outline the
projected issues involved in the current U.S. Farm Bill
discussion and listen to the views of the participants.  Minette
said the issues currently at the forefront of the Farm Bill
debate include:
+ Expanding access to healthy foods, increasing food security and
ending hunger
+ Promoting good stewardship of farm and ranch land
+ Building strong rural communities and providing opportunities
for new farmers and ranchers
+ Developing new markets for farm products and encouraging
investment in new products such as renewable energy
+ Reforming trade-distorting subsidies that negatively impact the
economies and market access of developing countries, and
+ Changes in the distribution of limited farm bill resources,
including cuts to the commodities support program.
     "We really see these events as chances for the church to
engage in constructive dialogue together," said Minette. "Our
bottom-line purpose is to help shape strong rural communities in
our country, through a number of economic, political and social
means."
     Genszler said there are plans to continue the conversation
beyond the listening sessions. "We're in the process of
developing an online discussion board, so that we can hear from
people who can't attend the listening sessions, and that those
who do participate in the listening sessions can continue to have
conversation."
     "Over 50 percent of ELCA congregations are in small towns
and rural settings," said Minette.  "The voices of Lutherans from
these areas are extremely important in shaping the debate on the
U.S. Farm Bill.  As Christians, it is part of our calling to
strive for justice.  Participating in these sessions is a great
way for Lutherans to raise their voices on issues that affect
them and their brothers and sisters in Christ around the world."
- - -
     Information about the U.S. Farm Bill listening sessions is at
http://www.ELCA.org/advocacy/issues/environment/06-07-11-
listening.html on the ELCA Web site.

* Annie Lynsen is director for grassroots advocacy and
communication, ELCA Washington Office.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog