The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads – sermon starters – among the themes of this day’s texts. (We're presuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

January 14, 2007
2nd Sunday after Epiphany

First Reading: Isaiah 62:1-5
Psalm 36:5-10
Second Reading: 1 Corinthians 12;1-11
Gospel: John 2:1-11

STARTER ONE: PREACHING THEMES

The texts for this day can move toward hunger and justice ideas such as the following:

Discerning spiritual gifts
·         The Spirit’s sprinkling of gifts comes with a purpose. When we discover our gifts, we ask, “Gifted for what?”
·         If the question is answered in self-giving ways, God’s purposes are fulfilled, God’s love is revealed, God’s own activities carried out.
·         So we are gifted to give, blessed to be blessings, loved in order to love. All our gifts: the love of others, year-end bonuses, health, safety, intelligence, skills – all are accompanied by a Return To Sender requirement that says, “Jesus is Lord.”
·         In hunger and justice ministry, the gifts of God flow from God to the people of God to the whole world. Nothing gets stuck back at selfish or stupid. The ELCA Hunger Appeal is a gifts-turnaround!

Speaking up for the city
·         The city of Jerusalem – in this case also the remnants of the nation – gets a new name when God speaks for its good. Misery turns to rejoicing, isolation to intimacy.
·         Who speaks on behalf of other cities, other nations? How does God’s love for the whole world find a voice within this city, this nation at this time in history?
·         If God speaks on behalf of a city nation mired in misery, how do we become God’s voice alongside those who beg for mercy, whose whimpering for justice is almost quiet?

Over and over again, God cares
·         This is an unrelenting truth about God: Despite our mistakes and sins, God keeps on coming at us, loving us when we’re unlovable, repairing and redeeming, shoring up the natural world, pouring love and lovely gifts into our lives.
·         We get to do the same, in response to God’s overwhelming abundance of care for us: In the ELCA Hunger Program, God’s care and love stick around, year after year, in places where poverty gets whittled down to toothpick size after awhile.

Celebrations abound
·         The wedding of God’s people and God is a time for celebration.
·         So is the wedding of God’s purposes with God’s gifts.
·         Today is a time to celebrate what this congregation – and thousands of others like you – have accomplished together. Add up the dollars, the time, the attention, the prayers and see how hunger around the world is pushed aside, evil named and thwarted, people given courage and hope. Dance, shout, smile!

“A wedding” as a metaphor for the relationship between us – the bedraggled folks we may be -- and a continuously loving God! What a strange way to express the greatest gift of all: Redemption for a purpose! Deal with it . . . .

Bob Sitze, Director
Hunger Education
STARTER TWO: CHILDREN’S THOUGHTS AND ACTIVITIES

1.       I’m drawn today to the story of King Midas and his golden touch, perhaps with some variations to fit today’s texts. Retell the story – with a puppet playing the role of King Midas? – so that children understand that the problem was not his gift, but the purposes to which he put the gift. You might leave out the part where his daughter turns to gold, and instead change the story to have Midas come to a change of heart about giving away the Golden Touch to a beggar or a poor family in his kingdom. Talk with the children about the avaricious and the generous Midas.

2.       Pile up a set of gift boxes or bags with “gift” labels such as those found in the Second Reading. Invite two children to receive the gifts. One child is instructed – quietly beforehand? – to take the labeled boxes into the church and give them away. The other child gets to keep all the gifts you give her or him. When you are finished giving away your pile of gifts, ask the question, “Who has the most good things now?” Wait for one child to notice that in the act of giving away his or her gifts, the one child is actually richer by far. Talk about generosity of the kinds of gifts noted in the Second Reading.

3.       For the fun of it, try some “speaking in other languages” and translating those languages for children’s benefit. A simple saying – “God loves you” -- or Bible passage or portion of the Lord’s Prayer might be a good starter.  The point: To have children consider how understanding between people comes because of the gift of knowing and translating languages. This becomes especially poignant if your congregation includes recent refugees or has a lasting relationship with Christians in other lands. The point of the point? Jesus is Lord of the whole world.

STARTER THREE: BIBLE CONVERSATIONS

Use any of the following items to engender discussion, sharing or action that connects today’s lessons with matters of social justice:

1.       Let’s play around with “celebrations” as a metaphor for how to approach hunger and justice work. This is and important consideration, especially for participants who have come past mere pity or sorrow, or even anger, in matters of justice. Just like with simple living – the ultimate redemption of the causes for hunger in the world – we can get caught in morose long-facedness, as though shouldering a problem is the best way to solve it. In today’s Gospel lesson, Jesus begins an admittedly justice-oriented ministry with a full-scale celebration of a village wedding. About a week in length, this party involves his mother and his disciples/friends. So we get to ask each other today: How do we celebrate and rejoice and make joyful and dance and fling happy glances and be silly together in matters of hunger and justice? How do we “save the best for the last?” Enjoy the conversation. . . .

2.       The idea of “speaking up for Jerusalem” is intriguing, because it posits God as an advocate on behalf of a city nation that he loves, despite its lack of deserverdness. The obvious connection in matters of hunger and justice includes the processes and programs by which this church – and individual members within the church – engage whomever, on behalf of the downtrodden “Jerusalems” we see around us. Yes, there are some textual problems in this comparison, so don’t take the matter too far. But you might intrigue participants with questions about God’s own advocacy (with whom?) on behalf of someone he really loves. You might wonder aloud about self-serving advocacy, on behalf of our own interests, as compared with speaking out with others. This is a good place to question whether “speaking on behalf of” is always a good thing, when “speaking alongside of” might be a stronger and longer-lasting option. Another good question: When and where do we advocate in places and situations beyond the halls of government or matters of legislation? When and where do these venues of righteous advocacy bring greater effect than legislative utterances? Where are Christ and the Spirit evident in our advocacy?

3.       A really fascinating set of questions for just the right group of folks, those who are struggling to take “hunger and justice” past the obvious, the surface, the starting points:   How do we apply gifts of prophecy and speaking in different languages to the work of combating hunger? And let’s make “languages” more than Spanish or Swahili, but also include “the language of today’s young adults” or “the language of those who have too much.” Listen carefully to the answers so that you can find even more probing and personal questions.