March 28, 2007

Paul N. Hanson Named Director of ELCA Fund for Leaders in Mission
07-045-MRC

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Paul N. Hanson, senior pastor at
Ascension Lutheran Church, Brookings, S.D., will become director
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's (ELCA) Fund for
Leaders in Mission April 2.
     Housed in ELCA Development Services, Fund for Leaders in
Mission is a church initiative to build an endowed scholarship
resource that provides tuition assistance to qualified candidates
studying at ELCA seminaries.  When fully endowed the Fund's goal
is to support full-tuition assistance for every student at the
church's seminaries who is committed to a future in parish
ministry.
     "The Fund is already providing Lutherans with an opportunity
to leave a legacy that makes a huge and lasting difference for
our church.  What could be more important, more basic, than
having pastors in churches, preaching the Word of God and
offering sacraments?  Those who give to the Fund can know that
their gifts really matter.  That's what people want to do with
their God-given wealth," said Hanson.
     "The Fund continues to grow until we realize our vision,
that we be able to provide seminary education, without debt, for
all students, forever.  Someday, we'll achieve that goal," he
said.
     Hanson succeeds Cynthia J. Halverson, president-elect of the
ELCA Foundation and executive director-elect for ELCA Development
Services.  Halverson served as director of the ELCA Fund for
Leaders in Mission from 1999 to 2007.  Under her leadership, the
Fund for Leaders in Mission endowment grew to more than $15
million, with 200 seminarians receiving scholarship support.
     "It is really a joy for me to turn over the reigns of the
Fund for Leaders in Mission to such a competent person.  Pastor
Hanson is an enormously gifted leader who understands the goals
and objectives of the Fund.  His story and ministry give
testimony to the possibility of what can happen when financial
assistance is provided to gifted students through scholarships,"
said Halverson.
     "From his early experience as a seminary student who
received scholarship support to, more recently, having the
responsibility to lead the (ELCA) South Dakota Synod's 'Answer
the Call Campaign' to raise support for ordained leaders, Pastor
Hanson has demonstrated a strong commitment and passion to assist
this church to bring forth faithful, wise and courageous
leaders," Halverson said.
     Hanson graduated from Augustana College, Sioux Falls, S.D.,
in 1985, and Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minn., in 1989.
Augustana is one of 28 colleges and universities of the ELCA;
Luther is one of eight ELCA seminaries.
     Hanson was pastor at Resurrection Lutheran Church, Pierre,
S.D., from 1989 to 1995, and senior pastor at Ascension from 1995
to 2007.  He was a council member of the ELCA South Dakota Synod,
Sioux Falls, from 1996 to 2001.  From 2004 to 2005, Hanson served
as administrative director of "Answer the Call Campaign" -- a
major gifts campaign of the ELCA South Dakota Synod.  In 2002
Hanson became a certified fund-raising executive, and he is a
member of the Association of Lutheran Development Executives.
     Hanson and his wife, Sally, have three children.
- - -
     Information about ELCA Fund for Leaders in Mission is
available at http://www.ELCA.org/fundforleaders/ on the ELCA Web
site.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog