April 16, 2007

Lutherans Offer Emotional Care after Shooting at Virginia Tech
07-057-MRC

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Lutherans in Virginia are standing by to
respond with emotional and spiritual care after a lone gunman
shot and killed at least 33 people April 16 at Virginia
Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech),
Blacksburg, Va.  According to the Virginia Tech Web site, the
gunman was killed, bringing the death toll to 34.
     "Details about the incident are still coming in as
investigation of the incident continues," said the Rev. Kevin A.
Massey, assistant director, ELCA Domestic Disaster Response.
     "At this time we anticipate that there will be long-term
spiritual and emotional needs on campus, as well as throughout
the state and the entire country as more is learned about the
full extent of this tragedy," said Massey.
     The Rev. James F. Mauney, bishop of the ELCA Virginia Synod,
Salem, along with Jan Tobias, Lutheran Disaster Response
coordinator for Virginia, are working together to formulate a
response plan, said Massey.  Lutheran Disaster Response is a
collaborative ministry of the ELCA and the Lutheran Church-
Missouri Synod.
     The Rev. William H. King, Blacksburg, Lutheran campus pastor
at Virginia Tech and deployed staff of the Department for Campus
Ministry, ELCA Vocation and Education, said the campus "is shut
down" for the remainder of the day.  King said Luther Memorial
Lutheran Church, an ELCA congregation located near the
university's campus, is open to members of the community.
     "As news of the tragedy at Virginia Tech unfolds, we hold in
prayer the campus community," said Sue E. Rothmeyer, associate
executive director for youth and young adult ministry and
director for campus ministry, ELCA Vocation and Education.
     The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop of the ELCA,
issued the following statement:
     "With the Virginia Tech community and the nation, we mourn,
we pray, and with the Psalmist we plead:  "Out of the depths, I
cry to you, O Lord.  Lord, hear my voice! (Psalm 130:1)  As
family and friends grieve the deaths and injuries of loved ones,
we claim the promise of Christ's Resurrection.  Campus
ministries, congregations and leaders of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America are offering support and spiritual care to the
local community.  Through the deep wounds of this tragedy, let us
renew our resolve to live together in peace.  "Holy One, you do
not distance yourself from the pain of your people, but in Jesus
you bear that pain with all who suffer at others' hands.  With
your cleansing love bring healing and strength to the Virginia
Tech community; and by your justice, lift them up, that in body,
mind and spirit, they may again rejoice.  In Jesus' name we pray.
Amen."  (Evangelical Lutheran Worship, p. 84)
 - - -
     Information about Luther Memorial Lutheran Church,
Blacksburg, Va., is available at http://www.lmlc.org on the
Internet.

DOMESTIC DISASTERS:

Editors: When listing organizations receiving funds to aid
survivors of major disasters inside the United States, Puerto
Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, please include:
ELCA Domestic Disaster Response, P.O. Box 71764, Chicago,
Illinois 60694-1764
Credit card gift line: 1-800-638-3522
Credit card gifts via Internet:
http://www.ELCA.org/disaster/ddrgive

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog