May 25, 2007

Lutherans Make Transition in Volunteer Hospitality Along U.S. Gulf Coast
07-091-MRC

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Lutheran Disaster Response (LDR) is
committed to the long-term recovery of the U.S. Gulf Coast in the
years to come, and a key transition in LDR's operation toward
volunteer hospitality will help ensure that commitment, according
to Heather L. Feltman, executive director of LDR -- a
collaborative ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
     The 2005 hurricane season yielded 26 "named storms," 15 of
which were hurricanes that caused total insured losses of more
than $47 billion.  Among the most powerful storms were Hurricanes
Dennis, Katrina, Rita and Wilma, which caused widespread
destruction in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi and
Texas.
     "We have coordinated more than 1.3 million hours of
volunteer service along the Gulf Coast," said Feltman.  She said
LDR, in partnership with its local affiliates and congregations,
established several temporary volunteer camps along the Gulf
Coast.
     "Generally our volunteers are relatively self-sufficient,
arranging their own housing and meals when assisting communities
after Hurricane Katrina and Rita, this sort of self-sufficiency
simply was not possible," she said.
     As communities along the coast continue to rebuild, many
areas have recovered enough to assume the role of providing
hospitality to incoming volunteer teams, said Feltman.  "As an
avenue of further empowering and equipping these local
communities, LDR will pass on the role of providing hospitality
for volunteers to congregations, organizations and businesses,"
she said.
     "Several of the existing camps may remain open through
partnerships among congregations and local recovery
organizations, housing and feeding volunteer crews for a nominal
fee," Feltman reported.  "Information about these sites will be
provided to prospective volunteers, so that they can be connected
to and support local congregations during their time on the
coast.  Volunteers are also welcome to stay in motels or
campgrounds," she said.
     "Most importantly, please understand that this transition
does not mark the end of our response to the 2005 hurricanes.  In
accordance with our mission to provide long-term holistic support
for disaster survivors, we will continue to coordinate volunteer
assistance in the rebuilding of the devastated region.  This
transition will allow volunteers to support rebuilding
communities and will help further the impact of donated monies
and extend the crucial work of Lutheran Disaster Response along
the Gulf Coast for years to come," said Feltman.
- - -
     Audio of Feltman's comments is available at
http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/070524.mp3 on the ELCA Web site.
     Volunteer information is available at
http://www.ldr.org/volunteer on the Internet.

DOMESTIC DISASTERS:

Editors: When listing organizations receiving funds to aid
survivors of major disasters inside the United States, Puerto
Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, please include:

ELCA Domestic Disaster Response, P.O. Box 71764, Chicago,
Illinois 60694-1764
Credit card gift line: 1-800-638-3522
Credit card gifts via Internet: http://www.ELCA.org/disaster/

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog