June 4, 2007

ELCA's Mosaic Television Reports African Story of Forgiveness
07-093-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The June 1, 2007, issue of Mosaic
Television, the video magazine of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA), is "Ready to Forgive: An African Story of
Grace."  The program is focused on the plight of the Acholi
people of northern Uganda and their readiness to forgive, despite
violence and abductions of their children by rebels.
     Mosaic Television is the quarterly video program produced by
ELCA Communication Services.  It is intended for educational use
in a variety of congregational settings including Sunday school
classes, adult forums, youth groups, women's and men's groups,
new member classes, congregational councils, committee and other
organizational meetings.
     People in northern Uganda have been affected by war for 21
years. The conflict is between a rebel government known as the
Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) and Ugandan defense forces. Those
most affected, a tribal people known as the Acholi or "Luo"
people, have endured violence and child abductions by the LRA.
Thousands have died, many are missing and two million people are
displaced, the program reported.  Most live in "squalid" camps
for internally displaced persons. Yet forgiveness is an important
part of the Acholi culture and reconciliation is a cornerstone of
their faith, the program said.
     For example, the Rev. Baker Ochola, bishop emeritus, Diocese
of Kitgum, Anglican Church of Uganda, said his wife was murdered
by LRA rebels.  In the program he spoke of forgiveness.
     "When somebody commits crimes, the (Acholi) people always,
always forgive," he said. "But forgiveness is conditional in our
culture. If you accept responsibility, you own your action, (and)
the Luo people forgive you, instantly. If somebody says, 'I am
sorry. It is me who has done it,' the victim community has no
choice. They have no option except to forgive."
     Ochola said the Acholi people forgive because they combine
Christian teachings with six principles: truth, mercy, justice,
peace, restoration and transformation.
     Adule Joyce, Ogili sub-county camp leader, Kitgum, said she
began to hate the rebels after she lost her uncle. "I can forgive
on the grounds that I want the children who will come after me
. to live in peace," she said.
     "Ready to Forgive" was produced on location in Uganda by Tim
Frakes, Tim Frakes Productions, Glen Ellyn, Ill.  Frakes was
formerly with ELCA Communication Services.  The Rev. Barbara
Berry-Bailey, associate producer for "Grace Matters," ELCA
Communication Services, narrated the program. "Grace Matters" is
the radio ministry of the ELCA.
     Through the National Council of Churches USA and a grant
from Faith and Values Media, the program is to be extended to a
one-hour documentary for broadcast on NBC-TV affiliates beginning
Dec. 2.
---
     Specific information about Mosaic Television is at
http://www.ELCA.org/mosaic/ on the ELCA Web site.

Editors: Digital photographs that accompany "Ready to Forgive"
can be requested by e-mail at [log in to unmask] or by phone 1-800-
638-3522, ext. 6009.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog