December 4, 2007

ELCA Bishop Mark Hanson Featured in CBS's 'In God's Name' Dec. 23
07-201-MRC

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, presiding bishop
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and
president of the Lutheran World Federation, is featured in the
two-hour primetime television special "In God's Name," airing
Dec. 23 at 9:00 p.m. EST on CBS.
     Produced by French filmmakers Jules and Gedeon Naudet, the
special explores "complex questions of our time through the
intimate thoughts and beliefs of 12 of the world's most
influential spiritual leaders," according to a Nov. 20 CBS news
release.  The spiritual leaders "speak out about violence and
hatred and reveal their own thoughts about faith, peace, unity,
tolerance and hope.  Viewers will see them in intimate settings,
including their homes and personal places of worship."
     "It is a great honor to be included among such diverse and
distinguished global religious leaders as those featured in 'In
God's Name.'  It is my hope that members of the Lutheran World
Federation and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America will
regard this as a strong affirmation of our shared witness to our
Christian faith and our commitment to work with people of all
faiths for a most just and peaceful world and a sustainable
creation. Their personal quest for meaning amidst so many
religious claims and conflicts made working with Jules and Gedeon
Naudet such a fascinating experience.  Again, as through their
documentary on 9-11, I believe we will be given a unique
opportunity to gain insights that might lead each of us to
recommit to lives of both humility and courage," said Hanson.
     This is the first time some of the world's religious leaders
have appeared together in one broadcast, said Ava Odom Martin,
director for public media, ELCA Communication Services.  "It is
really an honor to have the Rev. Mark Hanson, a national and
world leader, participate in this wonderful documentary.  To have
a program on religion and faith broadcast on a major television
network in a two-hour prime time slot is incredible," she said.
     When brothers Jules and Gedeon Naudet came to Chicago, "I
witnessed the unique and wonderful care they brought to their
work as producers.  The passion in which they captured Bishop
Hanson's work and family life made me realize the special would
be a fabulous production," said Martin.
     "I have seen the Naudet's documentary about the Sept. 11
terrorist attacks.  Jules Naudet was caught in the South Tower.
Every frame of the footage the brothers captured during the fall
of the towers was astounding," she said.
     "On Sept. 11 we faced death and thought we had lost each
other," said Jules Naudet in the CBS news release.  "This
harrowing experience was the first step in a journey that would
take us around the world searching for answers to the meaning of
life," he said.
     The 11 other leaders featured in "In God's Name" are:
+ Alexei II, Patriarch of Moscow and leader of the Russian
Orthodox Church
+ Amma (Mata Amritanandamayi), a Hindu spiritual leader
+ Pope Benedict XVI, leader of the Roman Catholic Church
+ The Dalai Lama (Tenzin Gyatso), spiritual leader of Tibetan
Buddhists
+ Ayatollah Muhammad Hussein Fadlallah, a Shi'ite Muslim leader
+ Michihisa Kitashirakawa, Jingu Daiguji, High Priest of the
Shinto Grand Shrine of Ise
+ Yona Metzger, Ashkenazi Chief Rabbi of Israel
+ Dr. Frank Page, president, Southern Baptist Convention
+ Muhammad Sayyed Tantawi, Sheikh of Al-Azhar and a prominent
Sunni Muslim leader
+ Joginder Singh Vedanti, Jathedar of the Akal Takht, the Sikh's
highest authority
+ Dr. Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury and leader of the
Anglican Communion
- - -
     Information about the Rev. Mark S. Hanson is at
http://www.ELCA.org/bishop on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog