December 3, 2007

ELCA Presiding Bishop's 2007 Christmas Message

"Now the birth of Jesus the Messiah took place in this way..."
(Matthew 1:18).

Many generations after God promised a Messiah, a young girl named
Mary conceived a child by the Holy Spirit. Joseph, the young man
to whom she was betrothed, was told by an angel that the child
she would bear was God's Son, Jesus.

God's power and blessing worked through common lives to bring
forth Jesus the Messiah. Joseph and Mary, ordinary young adults
nurtured by the generations before them, were open to God's
extraordinary activity in their lives. They were common people
whose willing hearts and courage powerfully proclaimed the Good
News of the one who would save his people from their sins.

Countless generations later, you and I are called to proclaim the
Good News of Emmanuel, "God with us." Our neighborhoods, our
communities, and our world are filled with those who long to know
Jesus' love and saving presence in their lives. God uses us in
all our ordinariness and sinfulness to bring forth the promise
and light of Christ's love and salvation.

This Christmas, may the Holy Spirit give you faith, courage, and
a willing heart as you take part in God's ongoing miracle. May
you know the joy and awe that comes from bearing Christ's
creative and redeeming love to the world.

The Rev. Mark S. Hanson
Presiding Bishop
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
---
     The presiding bishop's 2007 Christmas message is also at
http://www.ELCA.org/bishop/messages/m_christmas2007.html on the
ELCA Web site.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog