March 19, 2008

ELCA Introduces 'Money Leadership' Curriculum for Congregations
08-031-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- A new resource intended to engage people
in conversation and self-assessment about their feelings,
knowledge, experiences and practices related to money is being
introduced this month to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA).  Produced by the ELCA, "Money Leadership for
Thriving Congregations" is a biblically based stewardship
education resource.
     "Conversations about money are out of the closet," said Ed
Kruse, director for stewardship, ELCA Evangelical Outreach and
Congregational Mission (EOCM).  "People are really interested in
hearing about money and finances, and money management."
     "Money Leadership" addresses people's eagerness to learn
about and discuss a variety of financial topics, Kruse said.
Course participants discuss their money "autobiographies," plus
giving, saving, spending, debt reduction, financial life
planning, personal financial profiles, and developing personal
action plans for themselves and action plans for their
congregations.
     The idea is to help course participants strengthen their
personal and congregational stewardship, Kruse said.
     Other similar courses, such as the ELCA's "10-10-80" (save
10 percent, give 10 percent and use the rest for living expenses)
have been used to teach stewardship. From that course,
participants learned "that everything belongs to God and that
giving to God is a natural response of stewardship for people who
are followers of Christ," Kruse said.  "Money Leadership" also
follows a similar teaching model used by the former Lutheran
Laity Movement for Stewardship.
     "Money is a struggle for all of us," said the Rev. William
T. Tesch, associate to the bishop, ELCA South Dakota Synod, Sioux
Falls.  "I know there's a hunger around issues of financial
stewardship." Tesch, who attended a workshop to learn about the
resource, said "Money Leadership" will be a piece of a multi-
faceted approach toward equipping clergy and lay leaders as the
synod develops a stewardship strategy. The synod also plans to
use the resource to help pastors in the early years of their
ordained ministry, Tesch said.
     The Rev. David B. Zellmer, bishop, ELCA South Dakota Synod,
told the ELCA News Service he frequently gets questions about
stewardship.  "Part of what I like about it ("Money Leadership")
is that it wasn't just about money or how I need to give; it's
about how I live my life."  Zellmer said "whole-life stewarding"
is how congregations grow.
     The resource is easy to use, approachable and interactive,
said Tobi White, a third-year student at Wartburg Theological
Seminary, Dubuque, Iowa, one of eight ELCA seminaries.  White, an
intern at Sheridan Lutheran Church, Lincoln, Neb., attended a
pilot workshop where the resource was introduced.
     "Having this information in hand and having discussions with
other people broadened my understanding of stewardship," she
said.
     "Money Leadership" is intended for use by congregations in
small-group settings, Kruse said.  Group leaders for the resource
can teach the program in six two-hour workshops or schedule an
overnight retreat for participants, he said.  The "Money
Leadership" resource offers content specifically for professional
church or "rostered" leaders, and for members. Available
materials include a participant book, a leader guide and daily
devotions. The resource was written by EOCM's stewardship team,
and is available through Augsburg Fortress, the publishing
ministry of the ELCA. Workshops are now available in all 65
synods to introduce the resource, Kruse said.
     Thrivent Financial for Lutherans provided initial grant
funds that led to development of "10-10-80" and "Money
Leadership." Thrivent is a Minneapolis-based nonprofit financial
services organization.
---
     An audio story on "Money Leadership for Thriving
Congregations" is at
http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/080319.mp3 on the ELCA Web site.

     Audio cuts featuring Ed Kruse are at:
http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/080314a.mp3
http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/080314b.mp3

     Information about "Money Leadership for Thriving
Congregations," including ordering information, is at
http://www.ELCA.org/stewardship/teaching/ on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog