June 16, 2008

ELCA Plans for Relief Efforts in China Following May 12 Earthquake
08-089-LT*

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Peter K. Shen, consultant on
China, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Global
Mission, returned recently from a trip to Taiwan and southwest
China, May 19 to June 1, in which church partners in both China
and Taiwan discussed options for ELCA involvement in relief
efforts in areas affected by a May 12 earthquake in the Sichuan
province.
     The earthquake has left nearly 70,000 people dead, about
17,000 people missing and nearly 300,000 people injured.
     "Before I left for China, we at Global Mission had some
conversation together and basically decided that we need to be
there with our partners," Shen said.  "(Second) is rather than
make a quick judgment, including cash donations, we find out what
the actual needs are."
     Shen visited several affected areas, including the cities of
Chengdu, Deyang, Dujiangyan, Luzhou and Mianyang.  He met with
members of the Luzhou Christian Church, who are facilitating the
logistics of ELCA relief efforts.  Shen also met with officials
of the Taiwan Lutheran Church and the China Christian Council
(CCC) to discuss their involvement in the efforts.
     At a meeting with the CCC, it was reported that 21 large
Christian church buildings had been destroyed.  All council
churches that were able have sent food, water and clothing to
affected areas.  The Taiwan Lutheran Church and ELCA Global
Mission donated $40,000 as an "expression of love," Shen said.
     The meetings resulted in a three-phase plan for continuing
efforts in China, Shen said.  "We came up with the idea that we
should be there for the long term," he said, "for long-term
reconstruction of the community and with the church, so they can
stand up again and do their gospel mission."
     The proposed first phase involves providing temporary
housing, in a partnership between the ELCA and the Taiwan
Lutheran Church, to be used for living, worship, counseling and
community activities.  This phase will also involve teams of
Christian volunteers, some from Taiwan because of their knowledge
of the Chinese language, to provide counseling to the affected
communities.  "That's one of the aftermaths -- the tremendous
need for counseling people from fear, from despair and from
loss," Shen said.  Five to seven affected cities will be selected
for this phase, Shen said.  Volunteer counseling is planned to
continue on a weekly basis for the next three to six months.
     The proposed second phase involves community-based
rebuilding such as elder care, rehabilitation for disabled
people, water and sanitation reconstruction and agricultural
training programs.  This phase is set to begin in January 2009
and continue into 2010.
     The proposed third phase involves reconstructing some
collapsed buildings, particularly places of worship, and
strengthening efforts introduced in phase two.  Partners in the
Luzhou Church have determined which areas will be ready for ELCA
assistance during this phase, Shen said.  This phase is set to
begin in January 2011 and continue as needed.
     According to the Rev. Barbara Lund, director, Asia-Pacific
Continental Desk, ELCA Global Mission, funding for these efforts
will come from the ELCA World Hunger Program and "individual
gifts for particular church support over and above regular
benevolence to designated support."
     Shen said the Chinese government needs more time to assess
the situation and organize the efforts before rebuilding teams
arrive.  The ELCA's long-term efforts, he said, mirror this
notion.  "That affirmed our approach to this," he said.  "We're
not just going to be heroes, but we are going to be true
friends."
     Lund said that Aug. 1-12 an ELCA team will go to the
earthquake zone in China.  The team includes the Rev. Franklin
Ishida, incoming director, Asia-Pacific Continental Desk, ELCA
Global Mission; the Rev. Rafael Malpica Padilla, executive
director, ELCA Global Mission; and Shen.  Continuing follow-ups
are planned in the fall.
     "It's really incredible how doors have opened in the context
of the Christian community," Lund said.
-- -- --
     Information about ELCA Global Mission is at
http://archive.ELCA.org/globalmission/ on the Web.
     Audio of Shen's comments is at
http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/080612a.mp3
http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/080612b.mp3 and
http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/080612c.mp3 on the ELCA Web site.

*Luke Tatge is a senior journalism major at Augustana College,
Sioux Falls, S.D.  This summer he is an intern with the ELCA News
Service.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog