June 18, 2008

Two ELCA Congregations Earn Accessibility Awards
08-090-LT*

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Hope Lutheran Church, Fargo, N.D., and
Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Askov, Minn., are the winners of the
2008 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Disability
Ministries Accessibility Awards.  This award is given annually to
one or more congregations of the ELCA that demonstrate
outstanding care and concern for people who are physically or
mentally disabled.
     Each winner receives a $1,000 grant from the ELCA Mission
Investment Fund in recognition of its accessibility efforts and
to use toward projects.  It also receives a plaque commemorating
its efforts.  Hope Lutheran has more than 300 members, and
Bethlehem Lutheran has fewer than 300 confirmed members.
Applicants are judged on the physical accessibility of the church
building, outreach into the community to people who have
disabilities, and inclusion of people with disabilities in the
worship and daily life of the congregation.
     According to its application, Hope Lutheran Church offers
one-on-one assistance for Sunday school children with
disabilities, twice monthly meetings of the Support Group for
Persons Affected by Disability and Open Arms Ministry, which
"provides an environment of acceptance and inclusion to people
with needs relating to health or disability through education,
worship and fellowship opportunities."
     "We are always looking for new and better ways to reach out
to this population," according to Hope Lutheran Church's
application.  "We work to encourage all people to know the love
of Christ, which is our mission statement."
     Bethlehem Lutheran Church recently underwent a $250,000
addition that "was built for the sole purpose of making our
church accessible for both the elderly and the disabled,"
according to its application.  Members of the church utilize a
video ministry for the homebound and provide rides and assistance
to those in need.
     "This has been a very well-received and active ministry in
our community given the high poverty rate in our very rural
area," Bethlehem Lutheran's application reads.  "This is often
the first contact many in our community have had with our
congregation, so we see this as a vital outreach ministry."
     Bethlehem Lutheran's application also said that one member
brings an assistant dog to worship services.  "His presence every
Sunday in worship has had a very positive impact on our
congregation, especially the Sunday school kids who have learned
not to fear those with disabilities or who are 'different' from
themselves," it read.
     Calvary Lutheran Church, Belleville, Ill., and Grace
Evangelical Lutheran Church, Springfield, Ohio, received
honorable mention awards.
-- -- --
     Information about ELCA Disability Ministries is at
http://tinyurl.com/4y6xyw on the Web.

*Luke Tatge is a senior journalism major at Augustana College,
Sioux Falls, S.D.  This summer he is an intern with the ELCA News
Service.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog