June 23, 2008

LWF Leaders Discuss Zimbabwe Runoff Election, Environment, Food Crisis
08-097-JB

     DAR ES SALAAM, Tanzania (ELCA) -- The president and general
secretary of the Lutheran World Federation (LWF) addressed a wide
range of topics and concerns at a June 19 news conference here,
including the planned runoff election for president in Zimbabwe,
environmental concerns, the current world food crisis and how
religious groups in Africa are working together for peace.
     The Rev. Mark S. Hanson, LWF president and presiding bishop
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), and the
Rev. Ishmael Noko, LWF general secretary, visited the dioceses of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania (ELCT) in advance of
the LWF Council meeting June 23-30 in Arusha.  The council is the
LWF's governing board.
     The LWF is a global communion of 140 churches in 78
countries, representing 68.6 million of the world's Lutherans.
     Noko expressed great concern about the prospects for the
runoff election in Zimbabwe, which may not occur as scheduled.
The suffering of the people of that country "can (not) only be
described in tears but written in blood," he said.
     A runoff election between incumbent President Robert Mugabe
and his challenger, Morgan Tsvangirai, had been scheduled for
June 27, but Tsvangirai announced June 22 he was pulling out
because his supporters are facing threats of violence.  In recent
weeks there have been numerous reports that police and Mugabe
supporters have harassed, beaten or detained Tsvangirai and his
supporters.
     "As you know, the runoff election that is coming looks now
quite doubtful in terms of the outcome," Noko said.  "Right now,
the leadership of the ruling party has bestowed upon itself to
say that no matter what comes out, they will continue to run the
country.  It's an undercutting of all the struggles of Zimbabwe
by those who suffered to struggle for independence, including the
current president.  It's important for us to say that he did not
lead the struggle for independence alone.  There were many
others. His current style of leadership betrays the purpose of
the struggle."
     Noko, who is from Zimbabwe, said he is gratified that many
people in Africa and throughout the world share the concerns of
the people of Zimbabwe about this situation.  "We Zimbabweans
know we are not alone," he said.
     The LWF Council meeting theme is "Melting Snow on Mount
Kilimanjaro -- A Witness of a Suffering Creation."  Hanson said
his president's report will focus on global environmental
challenges, call for repentance for failing to care for the
environment, point out how Lutherans are caring for the
environment, and suggest environmental advocacy for the LWF.
     "We are the ones who have put the creation at risk," Hanson
said.  "Now we must change so that the creation might live as God
intends it to live."
     In recent months some parts of the world have experienced a
crisis in the price and availability of food, Noko said.  The
council will discuss the crisis and may recommend action for LWF
member churches "so that we can contribute as a family of
Lutheran churches to the ongoing dialogue and attempt to find
solutions," he said.
     Hanson said for a U.S. religious leader the food crisis is a
global and domestic, environmental and justice issue.  He said
Jesus preached the gospel to impoverished and hungry people.
"That's a mandate to the followers of Jesus to work for justice
and the end of poverty, and that puts us right in the middle of
the food crisis, which is a crisis of justice," Hanson said.
     The council will discuss the current status of the continent
of Africa, including the social and political climate, and how
people of faith are attempting to resolve problems.  One
interreligious group seeking solutions is "Interfaith Action for
Peace in Africa."
     A reason for the formation of the interreligious group and
other local groups, Noko said, is that religious leaders have
determined they contributed to the social and political "mess"
plaguing parts of Africa.  Religious groups have often abdicated
their responsibilities by leaving politicians to resolve problems
and by failing to respect each other, he said.
     During their work here, Hanson said, the LWF members hope to
learn from the ELCT -- a growing, 4.6 million-member church --
the LWF's fourth largest member church.
     By contrast, Hanson said the 4.8 million-member ELCA has
experienced a membership decline in recent years.  He attributed
the ELCT's growth in part to evangelists who share the story of
Jesus and to the church's engagement "in holistic mission in the
world."
     "I give thanks to God for the ELCT and the people of
Tanzania," Hanson said.
     Hanson added that one of the greatest challenges for
Christians today is how radical Christians tend to dominate the
news.  He pleaded with the journalists at the news conference to
report the good things Christians do.  "We have a wonderful story
to tell about how we share the Good News of Jesus and how we seek
to respond to the needs of human beings," he said.
     During their time in Tanzania, the LWF leaders visited the
Azania Front Cathedral (ELCT); campuses of Tumaini University, a
Lutheran higher education institution; and the Mkuza Centre, a
women's ministry in Kibaha which is planning to build a school
for high school students.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog