June 26, 2008

ELCA Presiding Bishop Addresses Environmental Concerns to LWF Council
08-100-JB

     ARUSHA, Tanzania (ELCA) -- It is "spiritual blasphemy" to
abuse the environment, said the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, president of
the Lutheran World Federation (LWF) and presiding bishop of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).  In a June 25
address here to the LWF Council, Hanson called on LWF member
churches to advocate for changes in policy and practice, adding
that "hope compels us to be disciplined, courageous, faithful
stewards of the whole creation."
     The LWF Council, which Hanson chairs, is meeting here
through June 30.   The LWF is a global communion of 140 churches
in 78 countries, representing 68.6 million of the world's
Lutherans.  The ELCA is an LWF member.
     Hanson addressed the theme of the council meeting, "Melting
Snow on Mount Kilimanjaro: A Witness of a Suffering Creation," in
his report.  Environmental abuse is treating God's creation as
"an adversarial wilderness, a godforsaken wasteland, a natural
resources dump to be used for our own self interest rather than
cared for in obedience to God for its own sake," Hanson said.
     The LWF president said it is clear from the Bible's Genesis
chapter 3 and from human history that humankind "has rebelliously
seized and abused the creation."  He cited a number of examples,
including consumption of forests and farm land, water and air
pollution, and climate change, which is causing snow to melt on
Mount Kilimanjaro near here.  These "offenses" are an assault on
fellow living creatures, including "human beings who are less
privileged, less powerful," Hanson said.
     But Hanson said he remains hopeful and confident.  "A
communion with a rich theological tradition has the resources to
address this crisis," he said.  The LWF Department for Theology
and Studies' study program, "Theological Responses to Climate
Change," is an example of theological dialogue taking place in
the LWF, Hanson said.
     Hanson cited a number of examples of how LWF member churches
are working to preserve and improve the environment.  He called
on member churches to communicate with their governments and
advocate for changes in environmental policy and practice.
     "The creation's suffering is a sobering truth to face,"
Hanson said.  But Christians can live confidently and serve
humbly because there is hope in Scripture, and hope is born of
faith, he said.
     "Since we live with God and God's creation, shall we not
join them in hope?" Hanson asked.  "We are one Body of Christ, in
solidarity with the creation and its suffering, one with each
other in a communion of faith and service, sharing in the
sufferings of Christ and of the new creation's birth."

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog