July 12, 2008

Women of the ELCA Donates Blankets, Assembles Health Kits
08-113-LT*

     SALT LAKE CITY (ELCA) -- Volunteers at the Women of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) gathering here
worked to assemble and distribute "in-kind gifts" to
congregations and non-profit agencies in the area.  These gifts
include gift cards and pre-paid phone cards; materials for school
and health kits; quilts, heart pillows and fleece for blankets;
and yarn for knitting hats and preemie caps.
     Women of the ELCA's Seventh Triennial Gathering is being
held through July 13 here at the Salt Palace Convention Center.
More than 2,000 women are expected to attend.  The event theme,
"Come to the Waters," focuses on the celebration of Baptism
through Bible study, speakers, community service and worship.
     The volunteer work was split into eight "docks" -- letter-
writing to members of Congress, assembling health and school
kits, gathering gift and phone cards,  knitting, sewing, donating
food, learning about homelessness and exploring involvement in
global water projects.  The recipients of the gifts include Utah
Food Bank Services, Primary Children's Medical Center, Navajo
Santa and Crossroads Urban Center.
     "The message that we're trying to send with in-kind gifts is
helping others through mission projects," said Eva James Yeo,
administrative assistant, Women of the ELCA, Chicago.  "(For)
women who love to knit and crochet, that is an opportunity and a
gift they can use.  All of the gifts that women have, we have a
way that they can use them for the greater good, both locally and
globally."
     Kimberly Bryant, Chicago, said the water project "dock"
helps women learn what it's like to live without free-flowing
water.  She urged women to "be compassionate and sympathize with
(their) sisters in Christ that are from other countries" and to
"walk a mile in their shoes."
     "It just makes women think about the journey that most women
in other countries have to take," Bryant said.  "What would you
have to give up in your day, how long would that take you and
would you be willing to do that?"
     Fay Nichols, Berrysburg, Pa., has been working with related
gift-giving projects in her home congregation since 1987.  She
said the most important part is taking care of neighbors.
     "Whoever they are, keep them in our prayers - no matter what
the need may be," Nichols said.  "With all the disasters and
things that are happening in the world today, there are so many
people.  We often think of helping in this manner as helping
those across the sea, but we're finding out we need the help
right here as well."
     Knitting scarves for the elderly in nursing homes is
something that Delores Gray, Bronx, N.Y., does in her home
congregation.  She said that food banks, clothing drives for the
homeless and knitting are all helpful ministries.  "Lutheran
women are already doing it," Gray said.  "We're involved in quite
a few things, including advocacy in terms of writing our
congressmen about bills that are being passed for social
problems.  We've always been helpful in supplying to social
need."
- - -
     Information about Women of the ELCA's Seventh Triennial
Gathering is at http://womenoftheELCA.org/tg08.html on the Web.

*Luke Tatge is a senior journalism major at Augustana College,
Sioux Falls, S.D.  This summer he is an intern with the ELCA News
Service.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news