July 21, 2008

Thrivent Financial to Fund Lutheran Efforts for Midwest Flood Relief
08-122-LT*

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Thrivent Financial for Lutherans,
Minneapolis, a faith-based membership financial organization, has
announced a plan to generate $1.5 million to aid flood-affected
areas in Indiana, Iowa and Wisconsin.
     Thrivent Financial hopes to collect $1 million in donations
and fundraising by chapter members and will add the remaining
$500,000 from organization fundraising efforts.  Half of the
relief money will be distributed to organizations and recipients
within the flood-affected, three-state area through its regional
offices.  The remaining funds will go to Lutheran Disaster
Response, a collaborative ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod,
and the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod Committee on Relief.
     "When there is a need, Thrivent Financial and our members
are eager to help," said Brad Hewitt, senior vice president of
charitable programs, Thrivent Financial for Lutherans.  "Thanks
to Thrivent Financial's unique structure, our members in the
Midwest and across the country can quickly organize volunteers in
their community to raise funds and provide hope to the recent
flood victims."
     "We are very grateful for Thrivent Financial for Lutherans'
continued generous partnership with Lutheran Disaster Response in
this ministry effort," said Kathryn Sime, director, ELCA World
Hunger and Disaster Appeal.  "I know that Thrivent members,
through their Thrivent chapters, will respond generously to this
opportunity and I am thankful for the good work their good gifts
will make possible."
     Two efforts are planned to fund the $500,000 from the
organization.  Thrivent Financial for Lutherans is asking members
and others from around the nation to form local service teams to
collect or raise funds for Midwest flooding disaster relief
efforts, according to the organization's Web site.  For every two
dollars raised by Thrivent chapter service teams, Thrivent plans
to provide an additional dollar, up to a total of $250,000.
Thrivent is also planning to commit an additional $250,000 for
regions directly affected by the flooding. This funding will be
used to support disaster response service activities and
fundraisers conducted by Thrivent chapter service teams in these
regions.
     Thrivent Financial has about 3 million members across the
United States, organized into 1,357 local chapters.  It aims to
provide solutions to its members and their communities that focus
on financial security, wellness and caring for others.  Thrivent
Financial offers financial services, including life insurance,
annuities, mutual funds, disability income insurance and bank
products.
-- -- --
     Information about Lutheran Disaster Response is at
http://www.ldr.org on the Web.

*Luke Tatge is a senior journalism major at Augustana College,
Sioux Falls, S.D.  This summer he is an intern with the ELCA News
Service.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog