SCROLL DOWN FOR SEPTEMBER 14 AND SEPTEMBER 21

Welcome to Hunger Sermon Starters!

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads –sermon starters – among the themes of this day’s texts. (We're presuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

September 14, 2008

John 12:20-33

This feast day commemorates that in 614 the “supposed true cross” fell into the hands of the Persians. The emperor Heraclius recovered it and put it on view at Jerusalem in the spring of 629. Holy Cross Day has its origin as a commemoration of that event.

Within the Gospel of John, he teaches in Chapter 12 the necessity of death to bring about new life.

Years ago I deliberately team-taught a class of three-year-olds. One Sunday I brought to class sunflower seeds. As a class, we placed these seeds on top of good soil but did not plant them. I promised the class that I would water them during the week and place them in a window where they would get some sunshine. I wanted them to see the seed “die” and to see the new life springing forth.  At the end of a week they could see the seeds decaying. By the second week, new life in the form of sunflower plants could easily be seen growing.

In the West Virginia–Western Maryland Synod, I have witnessed the joy felt in congregations as week after week they are challenged to raise $5,000 or more for the purpose of paying for the construction of a well for our companion synod. One of our pastors challenged the Sunday School youth that if they raised the necessary funds they could dye her hair. They raised the funds by the announced deadline. But unknown to the pastor they secretly agreed to dye strands of her hair five different colors.

Out of their collective sacrifice came new life springing forth!

Rev. Ralph W. Dunkin, Bishop of the West Virginia-Western Maryland Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

September 21, 2008
Matthew 9:9-13

Rev. Ralph W. Dunkin, Bishop of the West Virginia-Western Maryland Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America