SCROLL DOWN FOR Dec. 7 AND Dec. 14

Welcome to Hunger Sermon Starters!

The lessons for each Sunday in the church year proclaim God’s grace in Jesus Christ. Also derived from a Sunday’s texts are lessons for the Christ-inspired and Christ-like life of God’s people. The comments here will help you find hunger-related threads –sermon starters – among the themes of this day’s texts. (We're presuming you have already done your exegetical work on the texts.) God bless your proclamation (and teaching) of what is most certainly true!

Dec. 7, 2008
2nd Sunday in Advent

First reading: Isaiah 40:1-11

Psalm 85:1-2, 8-13
Second reading: 2 Peter 3:8-15
Gospel: Mark 1:1-8

·         Isaiah’s context is that the “exile” is nearly over, and there is good news coming. People suffering from a variety of world conditions can look to God for words of comfort and hope.
·         Isaiah 40: 55 is entitled the “Book of Consolation” and speaks of both signs of human mortality and eternal hope. As part of the human enterprise, we “wither and fade,” but in contrast “God’s word stands forever.” Notice the psalm invites us to “hear what God will speak” and declares that “peace and righteousness will embrace.”
·         To whom this prediction might help, healing and hope must sound like great news.
·         Another way of asking for our context today is to ask what region and nation is most desperately waiting for a word of comfort and hope.
·         It was Gandhi who once said, “The only form in which God dares show up in our country is in the form of bread.” What is the form of God’s comfort and help that is most desperately needed in Africa, the Middle East, in America?

·         Notice Mark chooses to open his gospel by quoting John the Baptist’s sermon based on Isaiah. The word of hope is that God comes to “restore” his people. Make way for God’s new entry into the world of chaos. Jesus is God’s form of bringing help, healing, and hope to the world.
·         John the Baptist’s call to repentance is a way of clearing us of the barriers that stand in the way of our hearing and receiving God means of grace—Jesus.
·         What are the barriers that stand in the way of our seeing, hearing, sharing, and following the One who brings us comfort and hope? Be specific. (If we are indifferent to those who suffer or live in denial of our own need for God’s intervention, what good are these words?)
·         The good news of the text is that we have a God who cares, who helps by giving us one who can bring healing and help to our cries today.
·         Notice the 2 Peter text has a marvelous benediction urging…“Fear not” and “Be ready to defend your faith and articulate your hope.”
·         Pope John Paul 2 in his book Crossing the Threshold of Hope predicts the greatest challenge of youth today is to find and hold on to hope. If that is an accurate description of this generation, God’s comfort and hope is greatly desired and needed.

The Rev. Howie Wennes (former bishop of the Grand Canyon Synod)

Dec. 14, 2008
3rd Sunday in Advent

First reading: Isaiah 61:1-4, 8-11
Psalm 126 or Luke 1:46-55
1 Thessalonians 5:16-24
John 1:6-8, 19-28

·         Before you get to John’s introduction of the role of John the Baptist in getting his world ready to hear and receive Jesus’ message, it is fascinating to see how Isaiah and Psalm 126 connect up with Luke 1:46-55 (an alternate Psalm reading) and provide the context for both Mary’s message and Jesus’ first sermon. Luke makes the clearest connections between Isaiah’s song, Mary’s song, and Jesus’ first sermon.
·         Isaiah says, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me and has anointed me to and sent me with good news for the broken.” 61:1  Jesus uses these words as the text for his first sermon in Luke. (Was it an assigned periscope or Jesus’ favorite verse?)
·         Notice also Mary finds inspiration for her famous “magnificat” from Isaiah 61:1 as she proclaims good news for the poor and also from Psalm 126:2–3 as she echos the Psalm…”My spirit rejoices in the Lord.”
·         To ignore the Hebrews roots of these proclamations of liberation for the poor and oppressed is a great disservice to our congregations and the many who are eager for a word of hope in a world filled with heartache and despair.
·         If you have never read Luther’s commentary on Mary’s song (Luke 1:46–55), you are in for a treat. It also can work on All Saints Sunday when Luther reminds us of a proper attitude toward the saints.  “We remember them not so they can hear our voices (prayers) but so we might once again hear their voices” and be inspired to faithful living.
·         The Thessalonians’ text picks up the rejoicing theme of Isaiah 61:10 and Psalm 126 with the “no whining” accent and the encouragement to “pray always, give thanks in all circumstances.” What a benediction. It would make for a great memory verse for confirmands.
·         Notice however the key and motivation that makes the Biblical imperative to “rejoice, pray and give thanks” always, no matter what. There is the conviction that “God (who calls and delivers you) is FAITHFUL.” Only if you believe the last assertion can you carry out the other imperatives. The conviction supports and promotes the trilogy of the doxology. (Do you get it?)
·         In John’s gospel lesson, John the Baptist (referred to as J.B. from now on) is given his job description. Get the world ready to receive and believe in the “light of the world….Jesus.”
·         A helpful Bible study technique that helps people find the core message of almost any text is to ask the two core questions of identity and purpose. Notice how this text speaks of J.B.’s identity and role. He is the forerunner, not the Messiah. His purpose is to set the stage for Jesus and his message.
·         J.B.’s clear sense of identity allowed him to live a “purpose-driven life.” How do we help our Sunday-morning worshippers catch their sense of identity and purpose? You might have the congregation make the baptismal sign of the cross on each other’s foreheads and remind them of their baptismal imperative, “Let your light shine” or read the Confirmation Affirmation on page 237 (ELW) that urges… “Live, hear, proclaim, serve, and strive for justice and peace in all the earth.”

The Rev. Howie Wennes (former bishop of the Grand Canyon Synod)