June 11, 2009

Extraordinary Faith, Ordinary Life -- A Lutheran Horseshoe Pitcher's Tale
09-132-SH

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Terry Cuthbertson hoped to bring the
2009 world horseshoe pitching tournament to Kansas, home of
the first such championship 100 years ago. By a five-vote
margin, members of the National Horseshoe Pitching
Association (NHPA) opted to hold the July 27-Aug. 8
competition in Springfield, Ill.
     Kansas was a sentimental favorite, but Springfield won
in part because of its proximity to the National Horseshoe
Pitchers Hall of Fame, located 135 miles away in Wentzville,
Mo. "We're good sports about it," said Cuthbertson, president
of the Topeka Horseshoe Association. "That's as important in
life as it is in horseshoes."
     Cuthbertson, 66, is a member of Our Savior's Lutheran
Church, Topeka. His pastor, the Rev. Meggan Prosser-Gebhardt,
describes him as a "go-getter" when it comes to both civic
and congregational activities. His faith is evident, she
says, whether he's pitching horseshoes or praying devotions.
     "Horseshoes is not the run-of-the-mill kind of sport,"
the pastor said. "It requires a great deal of concentration,
focus and diligence. That's something I see in Terry. He's
very committed to his faith and willing to go to great
lengths in order to serve others."
     Cindy Freeman, a member of the congregation's executive
council, described Cuthbertson as sociable and outgoing -- the
guy always in the know. "He's also always there if you need
somebody to help you out," she said. "He lives his faith day
in and day out. You see it in how he treats people and in his
service to others."
     Christian theologians throughout the ages have stressed
the importance of demonstrating extraordinary faith in the
ordinary, mundane activities of life. Cuthbertson said he
strives to live his faith in all walks of life, but falls
short like everybody else.
     He took up horseshoes "for fun" in 1996, but became more
serious after retiring from a career with the Department of
Veterans Affairs in 2005. He struggled at first, but now
routinely places near the top in state and regional
competitions.
     "It teaches humility," he said of horseshoes. "I don't
care how good you are, you're going to get beat. Even so,
you still win because of the fellowship with other players."
     As the Topeka Horseshoe Association president,
Cuthbertson tries to demonstrate his faith by his leadership
and comportment. Players must shake hands before and after
a match. Swearing and the selling of alcoholic beverages is
forbidden at events. Pitchers who violate the foul language
rule -- usually newcomers -- must pay $1 every time they
curse.
     "We keep it clean, fun and respectful," he said. Parents,
their children and grandchildren often compete together in
tournaments.
     A wholesome environment is part of the appeal for many
pitchers, agreed Dale Lipovsky of Apple Valley, Minn. "We
don't go for holding tournaments in Vegas," said the former
three-time world's men champion.
     Still, garnering public interest is an ongoing battle.
"Many times our only spectators are players," said Lipovsky,
a member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
     The 13,000-member National Horseshoe Pitching Association
tries to elevate the image of the game as more than a backyard
pastime through standardized rules and competitive play. It
also says horseshoes aids physical fitness: "In this day of
weight watching, what better way to exercise than walking,
bending and reaching?"
     Cuthbertson's congregational activities include serving
on memorials, stewardship and fellowship committees. He
chaired a task force examining ways to make the church kitchen
environmentally friendly, or "green." He's often an usher,
worship greeter, coffee hour host. He also helps to mow the
grass. Civic activities include organizing a Big Brothers/Big
Sisters of Topeka benefit. He's also the Kansas state leader
of Sertoma, a service organization that provides hearing aids
to people who can't afford them.
     "Our entire existence is based on the concept of service
to your fellow man," said Steven Murphy, Sertoma's national
executive director. "Terry embodies that."
--
     Information on the Topeka Horseshoe Association is at
http://www.topekahorseshoe.com on the Web.

     Information about the National Horseshoe Pitchers
Association is at www.horseshoepitching.com (the rules of
the game are also found).

     The National Horseshoe Pitchers Hall of Fame is at
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2WC2  on the Web.

     Information about Sertoma is at http://www.sertoma.org
on the Web.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog