November 7, 2009

Lutherans Listen, Console and Pray in Response to Fort Hood Tragedy
09-251-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Nurturing the living, caring for the wounded and
honoring the dead is the work of the many military chaplains responding
to this week's deadly shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, said Col. Michael T.
Lembke of III Corps. Lembke is an Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA) chaplain serving at Fort Hood, where he is senior chaplain.
     Lembke, ELCA Chaplain Lt. Col. Richard E. Brunk Jr., and other
chaplains at the U.S. Army installation are listening to the needs of the
wounded and their families, and other Fort Hood personnel, he said in a
Nov. 7 phone interview with the ELCA News Service. Lembke said he will be
the lead planner for a memorial service, the date of which is to be
determined.
     The Nov. 5 shooting at Fort Hood resulted in the deaths of 13 people
and left at least 30 people wounded. The alleged shooter, Maj. Nidal
Malik Hasan, a U.S. Army psychiatrist, was wounded by a civilian police
officer, Sgt. Kimberly Munley, and remains under guard at a Texas
hospital. Munley was wounded by Hasan.
     Lembke spoke at a candelight vigil Nov. 6. "We wanted to bring the
community together and offer words of condolence," he said. Some 450
people attended.
     "When tragedy strikes, we're military," Lembke said at the
vigil. "We want to take action. But I hope you realize there are other
things . listening, quiet things . that give us strength."
     "We have grieving people once again at Fort Hood. It's no stranger
to us. We know standing shoulder to shoulder as an Army family is the
right thing to do. We know in the midst of tears there could be laughter
and joy. There could be hope," he added.
     Lembke's comments appeared in the Austin American-Statesman and
Killeen Daily Herald newspapers. Also attending the ceremony were U.S.
Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey Jr., and John McHugh, Secretary of
the Army.
     Lembke told ELCA News that he has "no concerns" about any backlash
against the Muslim community as a result of the shooting. He said the
chaplains work with a diverse faith community at Fort Hood.
     When meeting with people affected by the tragedy, "we respond with
prayer and the Word of God," he said.
     Lembke, who served in Desert Storm in the early 1990s, in Bosnia and
Iraq, said he's seen many tragic events but nothing like the
shooting. "Death, grief and injury are nothing new," he said, "but sadly,
tragedy and this type of violence are not unique."
     Lembke is on the clergy roster of the ELCA New Jersey Synod. He said
he is grateful for support for military chaplains expressed by ELCA
leaders and members.
     At nearby Immanuel Lutheran Church, Killeen, Texas, the congregation
will continue with its observance of Veterans Day at services on Nov. 8
and will include prayers for all affected by the shooting, said the Rev.
Raymond A. Zischang. Veterans Day is Wednesday, Nov. 11.
     "We will do what we always do. We will lift up this hurting
community in prayer," he said in an interview.
     "We have many members who work at the base, both civilian and
military," he said. "The whole community is a military community."
     No members were among those who were killed or wounded, Zischang
said. He said some members, who work in area hospitals, are directly
involved with the wounded and their families. Brunk and Lembke are
members of Immanuel.
     "This (shooting) cuts across denominations and religious lines. It
affects the whole community," he said. Zischang said he's received
messages of support and prayers from pastors and members from throughout
the ELCA.
---
     Information about Immanuel Lutheran Church is at
http://www.killeenimmanuel.com/ on the Web.
     Information about Fort Hood and its response to the shooting tragedy
is at http://pao.hood.army.mil/ on the Web.