November 20, 2009

ELCA Presiding Bishop Sends Open Letter to Members, Announces Online Forum
09-264-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Declaring that "God's mission is serious work that
calls for serious commitment," the presiding bishop of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) spelled out priorities for the ELCA
churchwide organization in an open letter to members released Nov. 19.
The Rev. Mark S. Hanson also invited them to join him in an online "town
hall forum" Dec. 6 at 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time (4:30 p.m. CST).
     Hanson also recorded a video, posted with the open letter at
http://www.ELCA.org/faithfulmission on the Web.
     The presiding bishop quoted Romans 5: 1-2a in his open
letter: "Therefore, since we are justified by faith, we have peace with
God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have obtained access
to this grace in which we stand."
     Hanson wrote: "We stand together in God's grace, but we are not
standing still. We proclaim Jesus Christ and are fully engaged in this
mission by actively caring for the world that God loves."  He added that
in serving God's mission, members bring their diversity, tradition and
disagreements.
     "We go forward in this mission trusting that 'God's love has been
poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us
(Romans 5:5b),'" he wrote.  He cited several recent examples of "the Holy
Spirit being poured out on us and through us," including:
+ Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Naples, Fla., which purchased land for a new
ministry center and convened representatives of ELCA partners, seminaries
synods and the churchwide organization.  The purpose was to envision "a
vibrant, evangelical and multicultural Lutheran presence in southwestern
Florida," he wrote.
+ completion of training of churchwide staff assigned to synods for
mission and stewardship ministry, aimed at helping congregations grow
+ news that the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Malawi told Global Mission
colleagues traveling in the region they are ready to work with the ELCA
so that together both can faithfully respond to malaria, HIV and AIDS
+ the ministry and witness of 37,000 youth, young adults and adult
leaders at the ELCA Youth Gathering in New Orleans.  Their work "touched
the hearts of residents and has them talking still," the presiding bishop
wrote.
+ the work of ELCA chaplains Michael Lembke, Richard Brunk and Paul
Dirksmeyer at Fort Hood, Texas. "They ministered to families, friends and
an entire nation grieving the tragic shootings at the nation's largest
military base," Hanson wrote.
     In the past week, the ELCA Church Council reduced the 2010
churchwide current fund spending authorization by $7.7 million, affecting
ministries and staffing.  That decision does not diminish the church's
commitment to mission, Hanson wrote.
     "We will engage Christ's mission with everyone who stands together
in God's grace," he wrote. The church will proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord;
develop new ministries in every synod, in multicultural communities and
among people in poverty; raise up and welcome faithful, wise and
courageous leaders through education and campus ministry commitments; and
send missionaries.
     "What a wonderful promise this is as we now enter the season of
Advent! With our hope in Christ, we face the future together as the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, serving the world that God so
loves," Hanson wrote.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news
ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog