December 22, 2009

Lutheran Bishops Offer Ideas to White House to Stir Economy
09-282-JD

     WASHINGTON (ELCA) -- In a Dec. 16 letter to U.S. President Barack
Obama, a caucus of Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) bishops
acknowledged economic challenges and suggested opportunities for job
creation. The group met with Martha Coven, special assistant to the
president for mobility and opportunity policy, to present the letter and
discuss the status of hunger and economic insecurity in the United States.
     In the letter the bishops wrote, "We see firsthand the effects that
unemployment has on individuals, families and communities. While we are
there to counsel and comfort, we are also committed to encouraging
policies that can spur job growth."
     The bishops' letter outlined a number of propositions for job
creation such as small business development, job retraining, green jobs
for low-income people and expanding public service programs.
     The caucus asked for particular consideration of sustainable
development for low-income communities, as well as sustaining the
environment and people living in poverty through investments in green
jobs and clean energy technology.
     The bishops also visited with members of Congress Dec. 16-17.
     The Rev. Jessica R. Crist, bishop of the ELCA Montana Synod and
caucus participant said, "We represent mainstream America; we speak for
justice; we speak for the poor. To be together with others in this task
is very helpful to the bishops."
     Crist met with Montana's U.S. Senators Max Baucus and Jon Tester
while here.
     "I discussed the importance of continuing unemployment benefits, and
of creating new jobs. I also talked about the importance of continuing
and improving child nutrition," said Crist. "I have a good relationship
with both our senators, and I think this is beneficial to the caucus."
     During their time here, the bishops received legislative updates
from the ELCA Washington Office and others on health care reform, job
creation and child nutrition reauthorization, and attended a "United We
Stand: Feed a Neighbor" event hosted by the ELCA Washington Office.
     Max Finberg, director of faith-based and neighborhood partnerships
at the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and John Kelly, strategic advisor
at the Corporation for National and Community Service, faith-based and
neighborhood partnerships, spoke at the event about the recent "United We
Serve: Feed a Neighbor" initiative. The effort challenges Americans to
help feed people in more than 17 million households in the United States
who struggle to put food on the table.
     The purpose of the caucus was to mobilize the bishops to speak
publicly and prophetically about the problems of hunger and poverty in
America and influence legislation aimed at reducing them, according to
the letter.
     In addition to Crist, other bishops who participated in the caucus
were the Rev. Michael L. Burk, ELCA Southeastern Iowa Synod; the Rev.
Robert L. Driesen,  ELCA Upper Susquehanna Synod; the Rev. Elizabeth A.
Eaton, ELCA Northeastern Ohio Synod; the Rev. Marcus C. Lohrmann, ELCA
Northwestern Ohio Synod; the Rev. James F. Mauney, ELCA Virginia Synod
and convener of the caucus, and the Rev. David B. Zellmer, ELCA South
Dakota Synod.
---
      The bishops' letter is at http://bit.ly/5Tlwx3 on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:
John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or [log in to unmask]
http://www.elca.org/news